Letter: Yiannopoulos takes free speech too far

Regarding Milo Yiannopoulos' visit to the University of New Mexico I can’t help but find myself in distress over this issue. I’m naming this certain event an issue because I’m perplexed at the idea of welcoming this controversial man to our campus, a campus so rich in diversity and known by its ethnic and cultural values. 

Milo Yiannopoulos has demonstrated nothing but a derogatory attitude towards many communities, some of which we have and fully support here at UNM. Yiannopoulos has made hateful remarks, has been banned from Twitter and shares ideologies that can be classified as “unpleasant,” hence his use of the word “daddy” to refer to Donald Trump.

How dare one allow Milo Yiannopoulos here. Other universities have already banned this man from their campus because of how demeaning he is and how hateful he comes across. So why let UNM be the campus that does allow such man to walk through our University? You may say freedom of speech right, well it seems almost as if the policy of free speech is overruling the policy of harassment, and if that’s the case I plead we reconsider our decisions. 

I can’t request a specific outcome, for I don’t possess that sort of power. I can’t deny you the freedom of your own opinions and beliefs but I do wish you answer me this one question: what was the first thought that crossed your mind when you heard that Milo Yiannopoulos was invited to our campus? Good or bad? 

I can tell you I was concerned right away with the safety of my colleagues, for that’s the kind of fearsome image Yiannopoulos portrays every time he speaks. Did you experience this type of concern?

Fernanda Banda
UNM student