Baseball: Lobos down the Aggies 5-3 in 2nd meeting this year

Tuesday night boded well for Lobo baseball.

UNM (16-9, 9-0 MW) managed to play an all-around game in Las Cruces on New Mexico State’s home turf, Presley Askew Field, beating the Aggies (14-12) 5-3 to win its fifth straight game, as well as its second win over its in-state foe this season.

The win also brings UNM’s record to 9-2 over NMSU in the past 11 games.

But a victory, at least in the early innings, wasn't immediately eminent.

After two scoreless innings to start the game, NMSU put runs in its scoreboard first, on two separate RBI doubles to grab ahold of a quick 2-0 lead.

That didn't stop UNM, as they quickly responded in the fourth inning with three runs of its own – two coming off of an Andre Gregory home run that scored both himself and Jack Zoellner.

For UNM that was huge, as it gave them its first lead of the game. And head coach Ray Birmingham realized the importance of that home run, too.

“That was a great adjustment by Gregory,” Birmingham said in a press release. “After his first at-bat, I talked to him about making a change and he did it and got his first homer of the year.”

The Aggies didn't lower its sword either. After an Aggie advanced to first on a hit-by-pitch, two singles would eventually score the runner. The game was tied at three runs apiece.

The Lobos would edge NMSU on offense and tack a run on in the fifth inning via a Jared Mang sacrifice fly to score Luis Gonzalez, who had reached third on a previous sac-fly.

UNM pitchers would allow one hit in the next three innings before its offense added on an insurance run on a Zoellner triple.

The Aggies would grab a hit in the bottom of the frame, but would be retired in order in the ninth inning. UNM would go home with them a 5-3 victory on its rival’s home field.

As a team, UNM grabbed seven hits. Gregory led the way, going 2-for-4 at the plate with two RBI's and one run. Five other Lobos would each grab one hit, but Mang would snatch one RBI and two runs as part of his efforts.

The Lobos’ bullpen allowed 9 hits during the game – five from starter Austin Isenhart in 3.0 innings – though the three remaining relievers and closer Christian Tripp combined for only four allowed hits and one run.

However, Cody Dye (1-0), who pitched 3.2 innings out of the bullpen, would tally a win onto his record, as he allowed only one hit and no runs with his time on the mound. Tripp, after retiring the side in the ninth inning, picked up his fourth save of the season.

“Dye was really good out there today and [Justin] Slaten and Tripp are game over when they enter for the eighth and ninth,” Birmingham said in a release.

UNM will return to Mountain West play during the weekend, as the team will host Fresno State in a three-game series at Santa Ana Star Field. All three games will be broadcast live on ESPN Radio 101.7 The TEAM.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz