Athelte mental health.jpg

Illustrated by Leila Chapa.

Finding work-life balance as a student-athlete

Finding work-life balance as a student athlete

Being a student-athlete is a full-time job and a demanding status to maintain – student first, athlete second. But often the separation between the two roles can be blurred. The best way to stay on track and not fall behind is to establish a healthy work-life balance.

Work-life balance is “equal time or priority to personal and professional activities,” a Forbes article states. For student-athletes, personal and professional activities become one; their sport is their passion but they have to learn to balance it with academics.

University of New Mexico senior and catcher for the baseball team, Kyle Smith, said that his work-life balance emphasizes defining time for his personal needs and not getting tunnel vision when it comes to baseball.

“You can describe it as making time for the things you want to do, outside of the things that you have to do … making sure I don’t make my whole life about one single thing,” Smith said.

Madeleine Miller, a sophomore on the volleyball team, echoed what Smith said about finding time for yourself. A work-life balance aids in avoiding burnout, Miller said. In that free time she carves out for herself, Miller finds activities that are unrelated to her sport but bring her just as much joy.

“You definitely have to find time for yourself so there’s no burnout,” Miller said. “For me, this means doing stuff that I love when I have the time, like going to bible study or doing little crafts.”

For student-athletes, it can feel like there are never enough hours in the day. An average day can include early morning workouts, classes and then more time back in the gym or on the field. Creating a personalized schedule can be one of the best ways to feel like some of the hours are gained back.

Everett Hunter is a sophomore on the football team and said that maintaining a schedule that suits him and his goals keeps him on track with school and football.

“The balance comes from having an appropriate schedule … without that you’ll get lost,” Hunter said.

Coming into college as an athlete, it can be hard to prioritize your academics when your mind is always on your sport. After only one season at UNM, Hunter knows that his academics are his priority and take precedence over football – something older athletes can still struggle with.

“At the end of the day, you’re a student first so you need to prioritize your academics before you can your sport … a key part is being able to have that discipline for yourself,” Hunter said.

The Lobo Center for Student-Athlete Success is in place for prospective, current and former UNM student athletes to provide support in increasing personal and academic success. It provides a variety of support to student athletes like study hall, tutoring, book loans and more.

Hunter made it clear he is a big proponent of the center. He takes advantage of the study hall and spaces that they provide for student athletes on a regular basis, he said.

“I’m really big on study hall hours … I see it as really beneficial,” Hunter said. “If you take the time to sit down in there and get your priorities done when it comes to school, then it’s super beneficial.”

Smith commended the administration for the effort and support it provides to its student athletes.

“(Admin's) biggest priority is helping us not only find ourselves as athletes, but as students as well,” Smith said. “The emphasis that they put on presenting us with opportunities to help find ourselves is the biggest part.”

Volleyball Coach Jon Newman-Gonchar plays a big role in creating a work-life balance for her and the other women on the team, Miller said. He’s mindful of how much stress their bodies can take and works to find ways to bring the team together off the court, she said.

“(Newman-Gonchar's) very considerate on how much load our bodies can take,” Miller said. “He has arranged activities for us to be able to spend time outside of the gym together.”

As a senior in his final year of college baseball, Smith explained that his work-life balance has guided him in finding who he is outside of baseball and knows that will benefit him in the long run.

“It’s arguably more important to figure out who you are and the things that you enjoy away from (athletics), so that when you do walk away, or when you’re finished, you know what’s next for you in life,” Smith said.

Francesca Cicconetti is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fran_cicconetti.

Francesca Cicconetti

Francesca Cicconetti is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached on Twitter @fran_cicconetti