Junior Luis Gonzalez slides back into first base during the Lobos’ game against Texas Tech on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at Santa Ana Star Field.

Baseball: Lobos stay on top of Mountain West after victory over San Diego State

Sunday afternoon’s game saw plenty of momentum shifts, as New Mexico and San Diego State traded blows throughout the game. The Lobos landed the last punch with a huge seventh inning and went on to win the game — and the series.

New Mexico (26-18-1, 16-3-1 MW) took two of three over San Diego State, rebounding nicely after dropping game one. The win ensured the Lobos will stay at the top spot in the conference standings and put more distance between them and the second-place Aztecs.

The first inning was scoreless on both sides, with the Lobos’ starting pitcher retiring the Aztecs in order to close out the frame.

New Mexico was the first team to get a run on the board, plating one run in the top of the second inning. First baseman Jack Zoellner led off with a single to left center. Hayden Schilling advanced Zoellner to second on another single, and outfielder Andre Vigil eventually brought the run home with an RBI single.

But the Aztecs went on the offensive and quickly took over the lead. San Diego State managed three runs in the bottom of the frame, including a two-run home run to hold a 3-1 advantage through two innings of play.

UNM produced on offense in the top of the third to pull back within one run. Beau Capanna was able to get on base with a single and was ultimately driven home after a walk moved him to second and Zoellner hit a base hit to bring him home to make the score 3-2 in favor of the Aztecs.

After the Lobos were retired in order to start the fourth inning, San Diego State answered with another run, a solo homer to left field, to go back up by two runs, 4-2.

New Mexico evened the score in the top half of the fifth inning. Capanna drew a lead-off walk, and outfielder Jared Mang continued his hot play, launching a two-run homer to tie the game 4-4.

But San Diego State answered the call again, putting up a three-spot in the bottom of the frame. A wild pitch from Gonzalez and a two RBI double gave the Aztecs a 7-4 advantage over UNM.

The top of the sixth inning worked out well for the Lobos, as UNM tied things up for a second time. Vigil and Capanna got on base with a single and a hit-by-pitch, respectively. Mang drove in Vigil with an RBI single and Capanna later reached home on a passed ball.

Mang used the opportunity to advance to second base and scored on a Gonzalez RBI single, to tie the game up at seven runs apiece.

San Diego State responded with three runs in the bottom of the frame, putting them back up by three runs, 10-7.

However, the Lobos still had plenty left in the tank and exploded for a five-run seventh inning to overtake the lead once more. Andrew Pratt, who came into pinch hit in the inning, and Andre Gregory both notched RBI singles, to shorten San Diego State’s lead to one run, 10-9.

Mang left his mark on the game, blasting his second home run of the game, adding three more runs to the total and placing UNM on top, 12-10.

Head coach Ray Birmingham wasted no time going to his bullpen. Carson Schneider was lifted after issuing a walk to start the bottom of the seventh inning. Christian Tripp entered the game and pitched brilliantly.

The closer got out of potential trouble in the seventh and eighth, and finished strong with a one-two-three ninth inning to seal the deal for the Lobos, ensuring the 12-10 victory.

Mang, Zoellner and Vigil all played a critical role on offense. Each of the players went 3-for-5 from the plate and combined to drive in eight runs.

The Lobos face off against New Mexico State next at Santa Ana Star Field on May 2.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers baseball and women’s basketball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.