Senior Carson Schneider pitches against a Texas Tech batter Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos lost their second game in the series to Texas Tech Wednesday afternoon 27-15. 

Baseball: Lobos fall in second high-scoring game against Texas Tech

No, it wasn't a football game, but you wouldn’t know it from the score. After UNM snatched a 16-5 win on Tuesday evening, No. 6 Texas Tech countered with a win that reflected an eerily similar football score, 27-15, on Wednesday afternoon, to split the two-game series.

UNM head coach Ray Birmingham realized things didn't go the “Lobo way” and offered up something of a philosophical metaphor.

“Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug,” Birmingham said in a press release. “That's just the way it goes sometimes.”

Bats were swinging – on both sides – and pitching was less than relevant. The Lobos rotated a total of eight pitchers throughout, while allowing the Red Raiders to muster 27 hits – five of those being home runs.

Each Texas Tech (34-11) player that saw an at-bat tallied more than one hit, with the exception of one player. And three separate players saw four hits.

As for UNM (27-17-1), despite the loss, its offense saw a plethora of hitting, too. The team tallied 18 hits. The team was paced by junior third-baseman Carl Stajduhar, who went a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate with two runs and seven RBI’s, while also being walked three times.

Stajduhar wasn't the only Lobo, though, that managed to add three hits to their stat line. Sophomore infielder Hayden Schilling, junior catcher Daniel Herrera and sophomore outfielder Jared Mang also contributed three hits. However, of those three, Mang added three runs and an RBI to his stat line.

The game started off on a quick note, with Texas Tech putting up two runs in the top of the first inning. But UNM added three of its own in the bottom of the frame, to take a quick 3-2 lead.

From there, Texas added two runs in the second and five runs in the third, while holding UNM to just two runs in the second and none in the third. Texas Tech again added another two runs in the top of the fourth inning, however UNM – highlighted by a three-run homer to left field courtesy of Stajduhar – helped them close the Red Raiders’ lead to only two runs, 11-9.

But it was the fifth inning that saw UNM take control once again. Relief pitcher James Harrington held Texas Tech to no runs and only two hits in the inning, while UNM’s offense exploded for five runs, highlighted by junior Danny Collier’s RBI triple, to put the Lobos up 14-11.

Texas Tech wasn't happy with UNM’s five-run fifth inning and, to the Lobos’ dismay, tallied a seven-run sixth inning, an eight-run seventh inning and a one-run eighth inning. UNM, in the sixth, seventh and eighth, only managed to rally one run and saw Texas Tech’s lead grow to 27-15.

And that was the final score, too, after Texas Tech’s pitching ended the game on a 1-2-3 ninth inning to take home a win on Wednesday afternoon.

Up next for the Lobos is a three-game weekend series at San Diego State – a team UNM has yet to face in conference and its only real challenge atop the Mountain West.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.