No evidence of missing data in UNM Foundation server breach

The ongoing investigation into UNM's recent server breach that may have compromised the financial information of a large portion of its donors failed to find evidence that any data was taken, said Jennifer Kemp, UNM Foundation APR marketing and communication director.

The UNM foundation has secured the vulnerability that allowed the unauthorized individual to gain access to the server, Kemp said. Federal law enforcement has also been notified about the incident, and any further actions will be taken by the law enforcement authorities.

After informing the donors of the breach, the foundation inquired about: the credit monitoring and reporting services being offered, the information that was potentially available and the accuracy of the sent notice, she said.

The UNM Foundation is not aware of any impact on the annuitants or other individuals at this time, Kemp said.

“As an added precaution, the foundation provided 12 months of credit monitoring and repair services to those potentially affected by this incident through AllClear ID, a national provider of cyber security and identify theft protection services, at no cost to these individuals,” she said. “Individuals who received a notification letter can utilize this service to monitor their credit and repair any issues that arise.”

Upon discovery of the incident, the foundation and its security provider immediately took steps to secure the system and block the intruder’s access, Kemp said.

“There are numerous steps and legal requirements that need to be completed prior to notifying impacted individuals, and we completed those steps as quickly as possible,” she said. “The UNM Foundation takes the security and confidentiality of personal information seriously, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience caused by this incident.”

Nichole Harwood is a reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Nolidoli1.