Football: Wide receiver Hart-Johnson ready for action after recovering from injury

Things were looking promising after an impressive sophomore season in 2015, but a car accident changed wide receiver Delane Hart-Johnson's life.

Hart-Johnson, now a redshirt junior, played in all 13 games for the Lobos during his sophomore season, starting three of them.

The highlight of his season included reeling in a 92-yard touchdown catch in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl against Arizona. Though the Lobos lost the game, the catch was the longest in New Mexico Bowl history and was the second-longest in program history.

But then, Hart-Johnson was involved in a roll-over car accident on May 12, 2016, which forced him to sit out what would've been his junior season.

He said he was unable to take part in physical activity for six months following the accident. At just 22 years old, the six-foot-four-inch, 210-pound receiver said he realized his career could have been over — fortunately for him, that wasn't the case.

“My injury was basically a stepping stone in my life”, he said. "I'm fully recovered now. It's just a blessing to be back on the field, especially from where I came from."

Hart-Johnson said that, in some ways, the injury actually made him stronger. He said being away from the game made him more hungry to play, and he has been working harder and adding to his game to make it back on the field.

That hunger had fueled his desire to finish out the rest of his playing career on a high note. After being granted a medical redshirt, the wideout has a second chance to showcase his talents and hopes to play on Sundays.

“I’m definitely hoping to get to the next level,” he said. “I’ve got two more years to take it to the next level and basically provide for my family."

Hart-Johnson hopes to follow in the footsteps of his brother, but has some big shoes to fill. His brother, Will Parks, who played against him as a member of the Arizona Wildcats in the 2015 New Mexico Bowl, was a sixth-round draft pick for the Denver Broncos.

Hart-Johnson said he now proudly wears a Denver Broncos beanie, and that, while his brother is helping provide for the family now, he wants to contribute his part as well and get into the league.

He is optimistic about his chances, because what matters to the Lobos is your ability to play, he said.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re a freshman, walk-on or whatever," he said. "If you’re good, they’re going to help you get on the field.”

The wide receiver said he also agrees with head coach Bob Davie's mantra that defense wins championships, and it's time for the team to win some games on defense.

UNM was able to walk out on the right side of several one-possession games last season because of the defense's ability to get stops at the end.

Hart-Johnson's size could afford him the opportunity to play both ways if the coaching staff were to elect to do so.

Whether he is putting up points for offense or providing pass coverage, Hart-Johnson says he has the drive to do whatever it takes. He said he just wants “to get the 'W' at the end of the game, no matter how we get it.”

The Lobos open up the season by hosting Abilene Christian on Sept. 2 at 6 p.m at Dreamstyle Stadium.

Aaron Cowan is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @AaronTCowan.