Josh Pain slams Johnny K into a bed of thumb tacks during the Day of Destiny X pro wrestling event held at the Westside Community Center on Oct. 21, 2017

Day of Destiny X caps off 2017 in style

Day of Destiny X, an event which marked the 10-year anniversary for Destiny Wrestling Organization, took place Saturday, Oct. 21 as the wrestlers and promoters entertained their fans for the final time in 2017.

The independent wrestling company, co-owned by former University of New Mexico student Johnny K, had a full card in front of a packed, sold-out crowd as approximately 400 people filed into the Westside Community Center to see the signature show. Many fans stood near the bleachers to get a better view as a 13-man over-the-top-rope rumble kicked off the action.

13-man rumble

The winner of the pre-show rumble would earn a chance at the DWO full-access championship against titleholder Manny Lemons later that night, but a pair of competitors found a workaround that allowed both to have a shot at the championship.

Richard SynCyr and “Big” Vig colluded with one another to eliminate themselves simultaneously, so that both would be declared winners of the rumble match. The two went over the top rope and jumped off the apron, landing at the same time to make it official.

That decision meant the full-access championship match would be a “triple threat” match, thus decreasing Lemons’ chances of retaining the belt as he faced two opponents.

Tag-team Championship Match

The next match featured four tag teams, which competed for the vacated championship belts after Ray Basura of then-champion Brute 66 suffered a knee injury that caused himself and Mosh Pit Mike to relinquish their titles.

Thot Control, the Fox Stars, H.A.T.E. and duo Johnny Swole and Kody Lane all had a shot at walking away with the hardware, but it was the lucha libre pair, the Fox Stars, that emerged victorious.

Lucha Star, one of the members of Fox Star, executed his finishing move, known as “sliced-bread No. 2” — a springboard that he normally performs off the middle rope as he grabs his opponent for a bulldog into a cutter. This time, he was able to complete the finish using another combatant for the springboard into the move. Then he made the cover for the win.

Last Man Standing

In a match where the goal is to incapacitate one’s opponent to the point where he can no longer answer a standing 10-count, sometimes it is better to be smart than strong.

Thunder and Geno Rivera had been embroiled in a feud that led to brutal stipulation in hopes of settling the score. Rivera was forced outside the ring and appeared to be in trouble but pulled a guitar from underneath the ring and smashed it over the unsuspecting Thunder’s head to change the complexion of the match.

Thunder was still surprisingly able to answer the 10-count, and the two continued to inflict damage on one another.

Rivera began targeting the surgically-repaired knee of his opponent, but seemed to have an epiphany after he sent Thunder’s knee into one of the ring posts. Rivera grabbed some duct tape and bonded Thunder’s legs together, rendering him unable to stand and answer the 10-count—a heads up move that secured him the win.

Full-access Championship Match

Destiny Wrestling recently implemented a championship belt that is defended over Facebook Live, to give online fans a chance to witness a streaming match unfold on their electronic devices.

SynCyr and “Big” Vig may have worked together to “earn” a championship shot, but that show of sportsmanship did not last when it came time to make a cover on Lemons.

The two worked in tandem for much of the match against Lemons, and eventually the numbers game took a toll on the champion. Vig hit an “F5” that appeared to knock out Lemons, but SynCyr tried to capitalize and win the match off Vig’s move — something Vig did not appreciate.

Vig pulled SynCyr off the cover and the two realized only one of them could potentially walk away a winner in the match this time. Lemons gained the upper hand when Vig was forced outside the ring and grabbed some lemons from the corner. He squeezed the lemons, which apparently give the wrestler an energy boost, and hit his finishing move, “the lemon drop,” to knock off SynCyr and retain his championship belt.

Rivera made a return appearance, blasting Lemons with a shot to the back with a steel chair as he was celebrating the win — indicating perhaps that Rivera has his eyes on a future shot at the title.

Women’s Match

Delilah Doom and Angelina Love squared off in the women’s match as the underdog Doom looked to upset a six-time TNA Knockouts Champion. Love teased the crowd by offering her wrestling shirt to the crowd, only to throw it in the face of Doom prior to the start of the match.

Love dominated much of the match, but things took a turn for the worse when she missed connecting on a big jumping bicycle kick. Doom took advantage, and was able to roll up Love for a “school-boy pin” out of nowhere to pick up the 1-2-3, much to the dismay of Love.

10,000 Thumb Tack Match

Josh Pain and Johnny K used to be part of the same group, the Death Rage Cartel, but the two needed all of the 10,000 tacks and more to put an end to things in the match.

The two punished each other for over 20 minutes, slapping tacks into each other’s chests, backs and other regions of the body as well.

Even “Kyle, the referee” took some punishment, picking up some tacks in his hand while trying to administer the three-count.

Ultimately, Pain ended the match by curb stomping Johnny K’s face into a pile of tacks and covered his former teammate to put a stop to the carnage.

Owner Adam Merrick then made his way from the back, presenting an envelope with some paperwork for Pain to sign. It made Pain the new director of competition, giving him the ability to make changes, as well as the power to hire and fire wrestlers.

Pain wasted no time making his first act in the new position, firing Johnny K from the company. The move signaled the full demise of the Death Rage Cartel, since Pain officially retired the third member of the group, Dex, about a year ago after the two had a falling out.

Heavyweight Championship Match

The final match was a “West Texas Death Match” in which barbed wire was strung around the ring ropes and a chain-link fence connected the ring to the guard rails. Hobo Hank was seeking to become the first 3-time heavyweight champion in the company’s history, but reigning champion Chad Thomas had other ideas — and help.

Thomas brutalized Hobo Hank, rubbing his face and arms over the barbed wire and opening up a wound on the challenger.

Hobo Hank picked up steam and hit his finishing move, a “tornado DDT,” from the top rope and went to pin Thomas. But the MK Bandit, Thomas’ manager, pulled the referee from the ring and interrupted the count.

The MK Bandit tried to flee to the back, but Hobo Hank brought the manager back to the ring and appeared to be ready to throw him into the barbed wire. However, with Hobo Hank’s attention on the manager, Thomas had recovered and stood up with what was essentially a tumbleweed of barbed wire and nailed Hobo Hank with a running lariat. He moved in quickly for the pin and denied the challenger a shot at history.

Though he wasn’t victorious, Hobo Hank did manage to get his hands on the MK Bandit and performed a DDT onto some thumb tacks, then tossed him over the top rope and onto the unforgiving chain link fence, much to the delight of the crowd.

Destiny Wrestling will return to action in February of 2018, with the possibility of a new venue still in play. One of the owners expressed an interest in bringing the event to the University of New Mexico but said he has been met with resistance in trying to secure a location.

Those interested in the company can go to facebook.com/DWOwrestling to find information about it or upcoming events.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers basketball, football and tennis. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@Robert_Maler.