Hockey: UNM wins again to protect unblemished record

The undefeated Lobo hockey team extended its winning streak to seven after a 7-4 win over University of Colorado Colorado Springs on Friday night.

The Lobos (7-0) came on to the ice as a team seemingly ready to protect their unblemished record on the 2017 season against the Mountain Lions.

In the first period, the University of New Mexico put two goals on the scoreboard with a strong offensive attack to open the game.

Right wing Chase Shanks of UNM had the first goal of the game, which was assisted by Logan Colyer.

New Mexico added a second from Lobo center Jaxson Farnholtz to make the score 2-0. UCCS was able to cut when deficit in half though, notching a goal with just seconds left in the first to make it 2-1.

Both teams exhibited strong defensive play in the second period, especially from the goalies.

UNM goalie Antonio Santiago blocked several attempts — swallowing the puck as the Mountain Lions racked up over 10 goal attempts.

Lobo center Austin Short and defenseman Nico Meneakis each scored a goal during the period though and UCCS managed to match its first period output, scoring another goal to make the count 4-2 at the end of the second period in favor of the Lobos.

The Mountain Lions seemed to match the intensity of the Lobos in the final period, as players on both teams looked to leave everything on the ice in search of the win.

But New Mexico continued to assert its will with back-to-back goals to seize a commanding 6-2 lead.

Center Jarrod Ronquillo made the first goal of the period, followed up just seconds later by another from his teammate, Short.

The Mountain Lions fought back, scoring twice to pull back with two goal at 6-4.

But Jaxson Farnholtz, who was named player of the game, sent home one final score to end the threat and seal a 7-4 victory for the Lobos.

UNM head coach Grant Harvey described Farnholtz as a skilled player who can play strong every game.

Harvey said in order to keep the momentum going for the Lobos, the team has to stay focused and hungry to continue on this wining streak.

The teams will square of for a second game as the Lobos take on UCCS on Saturday, Oct. 21 at the Outpost Ice Arena at 8 p.m.

Alanie Rael is a freelance sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She primarily covers men's and women's skiing but also contributes content for football and hockey. She can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @AllyRael.