Football: Lobos host Utah State in "must-win" conference matchup

New Mexico football doesn't technically need to win against Utah State to keep its postseason hopes alive, but with some tough opponents remaining on the schedule, many are viewing Saturday's game as a must-win.

The Lobos (3-5, 1-4 MW) have pretty much played their way out of a chance at winning the conference or even a division title, and find themselves in a situation where the team must win three of its final four games to become bowl eligible.

That might be easier said than done, with Texas A&M and perennial Mountain West powerhouse San Diego State looming—both of which are on the road.

Head coach Bob Davie acknowledged Saturday that the remaining schedule essentially means the team has to win against Utah State to keep hope alive, but the focus will be getting the team to play the best it can down the stretch.

Utah State (4-5, 2-3 MW) opened up the season with a 3-2 record just like the Lobos, but has lost three of its last four games—most recently a 41-14 defeat at the hands of Boise State.

New Mexico has lost three straight games—getting outscored by a wide margin of 80-3 in the two road games.

The Lobos should be able to execute better than it did last week against Wyoming, when UNM got pummeled 42-3. The Cowboys jumped all over the Lobos, racing out to a 42-0 halftime leads thanks in large part to scoring off turnovers.

Quarterbacks Lamar Jordan and Tevaka Tuioti combined to throw five interceptions, and gave the ball away two more times on special teams after muffing punts.

"My gut tells me Lamar (Jordan)," Davie said when asked which quarterback would get the start against the Aggies.

But, he also said it is important to continue developing Tevaka Tuioti, so it is likely the two will continue to rotate in an out of the game.

That recipe has not been successful this season. Whether it is not getting into a rhythm or not being able to fit the offense around the player's skillset, the team hasn't been able to respond like it has in previous seasons.

"We've not developed on offense like we normally have each year," Davie said. "This year that really hasn't happened...for a combination of reasons."

Injuries are part of the game, and something pretty much every team has to deal with, but they have decimated the offensive line this season. Those injuries may have also stunted the desired progress in both the run and pass game, with several lineman playing out of position to fill the needs of the team.

New Mexico will likely find it hard to get yards between the tackles again against a decent defensive line, but must find a way to protect the ball and minimize mistakes.

Although UNM has been solid in the kick and punt game behind the foot of Jason Sanders and Corey Bojorquez, respectively, but the team has been stagnant in other aspects of special teams.

Davie referred to the kickoff return game as non-existent, which is another step back from an area the team was successful in last season. But, if the Lobos are able to make some big plays on special teams, it could provide a much-needed boost and help tilt things in their favor on Saturday.

New Mexico leads the all-time matchup between the two programs, posting in 13-10 record in the previous games—including the last two meetings.

The Lobos walked away with a 24-21 road victory last season. Utah State had a chance to tie the score at the end of the game, but missed a field goal in a fire drill situation.

Utah State and New Mexico have been separated by a mere four combined points in the last two head-to-head matchups, so executing with precision down the stretch will likely be critical.

Saturday's game is slated for a 3:30 p.m. kickoff time, with the game being broadcast on AT&T Sportsnet and on the Lobo Radio Network.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers basketball, football and tennis. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Robert_Maler.