Matt Dorsey embraces Aaron Herrera  after Herrera scored the tie breaking goal to solidify the Lobos victory over UC Irvine during the Grange and Ashwill Invitational at UNM, Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017.

Men’s Soccer: Herrera named All-Southeast Region First Team

Aaron Herrera of the University of New Mexico men’s soccer team was named to the United Soccer Coaches All-Southeast Region First Team for his efforts on the field this season.

This is the first All-Region honor for Herrera, who is the next on a list of impressive names from Lobo soccer to receive this honor. Last year, Niko Hansen and Chris Wehan were named to the first team. Being named to the All-Region Team makes Herrera eligible for an All-American honor, which will be announced at a later date.

Herrera led the Lobos this year, piling up 15 points on five goals and five assists as a defender, leading the team in both categories. He was moved up front during the season as the Lobos looked to generate some additional offense, something that was severely lacking in the latter half of the season. He started all 17 games he played and notched three game-winning goals in 1,539 minutes on the field.

Herrera is the most decorated player the Lobos have, as he competed for the United States in the U-20 World Cup last summer. He can add this to a long list of honors he has received this season, having been named to the Top Drawer Soccer Best IX Second team, the 2017 PDL Players to Watch in College List, Grange and Ashwill Invitational MVP, Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week, C-USA Defensive MVP and All-Conference USA First Team.

Herrera is a junior and is expected back next season as the Lobos look to return to the NCAA Tournament.

Cameron Goeldner is a freelance sports reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@goeldfinger.