Photo courtesy of NewsOK
Photo courtesy of NewsOK

Football: Calvin Magee named offensive coordinator

University of New Mexico head football coach Bob Davie has named Calvin Magee as his new offensive coordinator, according to a report from FootballScoop that was confirmed by multiple outlets.

Magee comes to New Mexico from the University of Arizona, where he served as associate head coach, co-offensive coordinator, as well as tight ends and running backs coach under Rich Rodriguez, who was fired in early January after a university investigation into misconduct that included allegations of sexual harassment.

Neither Magee, nor any other Arizona assistants were named in the lawsuit against Rodriguez that was released by the Arizona Attorney General on Jan. 3.

Under Magee’s leadership, the Wildcats ran a spread-option attack, which mainly differs from a triple option offense (which the Lobos have run under Davie) in the lack of a pitch man, leaving two players in the back field instead of the three that previous New Mexico teams usually had.

In six years at Arizona, Magee’s offense set single game records for team scoring, total offense and rushing offense. In 2012, his first year at Arizona, the offense featured a 3,000-yard passer, a 1,500-yard rusher and a 1,000-yard receiver en route to finishing with the sixth best offense in the country in terms of total yards, according to ESPN.

The 2012 season also produced Arizona’s first offensive All-American in running back Ka’Deem Carey, who led the nation with 1,929 yards on the ground.

This past season, the Arizona attack was once again prolific behind quarterback Khalil Tate, as the Wildcats averaged 41.3 points per game. Tate led the balanced attack with 1,591 passing yards to go along with 1,411 rushing yards.

Prior to joining Arizona’s staff, Magee spent 2011 at Pittsburgh with the same titles he had in Arizona, the only year since the 2000 season that he did not work under Rodriguez, following him from West Virginia to Michigan and then to Arizona.

In December, New Mexico announced that offensive coordinator Bob DeBesse and cornerbacks coach Al Simmons had been fired. DeBesse had been the offensive coordinator since Davie took over at New Mexico in 2012 and was largely responsible for the triple-option offense that the Lobos found success with.

In 2017, the offense saw considerable regression and only averaged 20 points per game, down from 36.7 per game the year before, as the team turned in a 3-9 record on the year.

Magee’s hiring is expected to be made official in the coming days.

Cameron Goeldner is a freelance sports reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@goeldfinger.