Baseball: Lobos drop game one at Santa Ana Star Field to Air Force

Being at home didn’t favor the University of New Mexico Lobos Friday evening.

UNM, which has won two of its last three games prior to Friday’s contest, struggled against the visiting Falcons, falling 10-4 in game one at Santa Ana Star Field.

Sophomore pitcher Justin Slaten, who got the start on the mound for the Lobos, wasn’t able to find his groove in 4.1 innings of play. Though he pitched a good first inning, he eventually allowed 7 runs on 11 hits in the ensuing innings.

In the top of the first inning, it seemed Slaten was on his way to a swell night. He allowed just one Air Force hit — a one out single — though he retired the next two batters.

The Lobos, in the bottom of the first, got their offense going early. After a groundout from senior Danny Collier, the next three batters loaded the bases, with both junior Hayden Schilling and freshman Daniel Zakosek advancing on a walk, while junior Jared Mang hit a single to left field. That’s when, with just one out and the bases loaded, freshman Chris Dunn notched a two RBI double, putting UNM up 2-0 early on.

Over the second and third innings, though, Air Force was able to respond, putting up two runs and three runs, respectively, to take a 5-2 lead over the Lobos.

After Slaten retired the side in the top of the fourth inning, UNM added another two runs in the bottom of the frame. Schilling got a two-out RBI single, while Mang added another run on a double, to shorten Air Force’s lead to just 5-4.

But the Falcons, again, found their groove offensively scoring over the next eight innings to build their lead, while the Lobos were held scoreless. In the end, Air Force was able to grab the 10-4 victory over UNM.

Offensively, the Lobos (8-12-1) were able to put up eight hits, with three doubles. Leading the way was the elder Mang, who went 2-for-5 at the plate with one RBI and one run. Freshman Garrett Gouldsmith was able to notch two hits, too, with one being a double.

The Falcons (9-12), in total, racked up 17 hits, including a homer.

Slaten picked up the loss, his fifth of the season. Meanwhile, Air Force’s Nick Biancalana picked up the win, going 5.1 innings on the mound while only giving up three hits and striking out five UNM batters.

The two teams will face off Saturday at 2 p.m. at Santa Ana Star Field once again. Freshman Robert Gasser will start on the mound for the Lobos, while Air Force will counter with junior Matt Hargreaves.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s and women’s basketball and baseball. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.