Brief: ASUNM senatorial elections to begin Monday morning

Undergraduate students will have the chance to make their voices heard during the Associated Students of University of New Mexico senatorial elections this week.

Online voting will take place starting Monday at 9 a.m. and will close Wednesday at 5 p.m. Students can access the online ballot by logging into their myUNM accounts, according to the ASUNM Elections Commission website.

The Elections Commission website also states that students can vote at a physical location on the second floor of the Student Union Building. This location will be open on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. near the welcome desk.

There are currently 21 candidates vying for 10 Senate seats, as compared to last semester’s senatorial election, during which 28 candidates ran in hopes of becoming an ASUNM senator, as previously reported in the Daily Lobo.

Last semester also saw a high number of students vote in the election — 2,149 in all. This is compared to the Spring 2017 semester in which 1,551 students voted in the senatorial election, according to results posted on the Elections Commission website.

The election comes three weeks after Becka Myers and Emily Wilks were elected president and vice president of ASUNM, respectively. Presidential and senatorial elections are conducted separately.

Kyle Land is a news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @kyleoftheland.