Women's Soccer: Lobos build early lead, snare first road win of the season

University of New Mexico women's soccer had not held a lead on the road at any point this season entering Friday's matchup with the Fresno State Bulldogs, but quickly built a first-half lead that helped the team snag its first road win of the season.

New Mexico (6-4, 2-1 MW) scored just one goal through its first three road matches, but took just under two and a half minutes to put up a goal against the Bulldogs after Jessica Nelson set up sophomore forward Gwen Maly, who placed the ball just over goalkeeper Nicole Theroux.

The goal, which was Maly's third of the season, gave New Mexico a 1-0 lead and put the Lobos in the unfamiliar role of playing from ahead. That luxury is something that probably helped UNM withstand being outshot 23-16 overall in the game and getting doubled up on shots in the second half.

Junior UNM goalkeeper Emily Johnson got the start and picked up an early save 7:21 into the game to help keep the score the same and her teammates rewarded that effort with some more scoring support.

Sophomore forward Leilani Baker has exhibited her ability to create separation from defenders and has shown a penchant for creating scoring chances when she is in open space. She found some room to operate and blasted another goal past the Fresno State keeper to put New Mexico up 2-0 just inside the 16th minute mark.

Johnson and the rest of the Lobo defense continued to quell Fresno State attacks as the first half continued to progress. The UNM goalie collected four more saves in the 45-minute period, but was finally beaten in the 41st minute as the Bulldogs snuck in a score just before halftime.

The Fresno State goal came off the foot of Dayna Gutierrez after the Bulldogs were awarded a penalty kick and the freshman midfielder was true on her attempt.

UNM head coach Heather Dyche had split time between Johnson and freshman Malia Vanisi in the past, but has seemed to lean toward the veteran now that the team is in conference play. The junior remained in goal for the second half — a decision that paid dividends — as she denied the Bulldogs the equalizer for the remainder of the game on the way to a 10-save effort.

Johnson was under extreme duress after halftime and was forced to make a save in the first 21 seconds, even though it didn't get the Lobos out of danger. The Lobos were whistled for a foul, giving the Bulldogs another penalty kick 45:37 into the match and a chance to tie things up, but Johnson came up with a big save.

The whistles seemed to come with much more frequency after the teams took the field following halftime — the schools combined to collect 21 fouls in the second half.

New Mexico recorded three shots on goal, while Fresno State racked up five — but neither team was able to pierce the net over the final 45 minutes as the Lobos held on for a 2-1 win.

UNM will try to built on the road victory and shoot for another when it faces the San Jose State Spartans on Sunday, Sept. 30 at 2 p.m.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers basketball and baseball and contributes content for various other sports as well. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Robert_Maler.