Beyond books to real, live authors

Seldom do people meet the authors of books they read.
UNM professor Celia Lopez-Chavez teaches an honors class called The Legacy of Writing:
Voices, Words and Flavors of New Mexico. She said hearing from authors is valuable for young writers.

“The students have a firsthand experience in the whole development of writing text, from the beginning to the end,” she said. “The most important part of this course is that the students have a chance to meet the authors.”
So far, three New Mexican authors have visited the class, each specializing in different forms of writing. These presentations are open to the public and will continue throughout the semester.

Pat Mora, a bilingual children’s book author who has written more than 40 books about culture and tradition and language, will speak to the class Thursday. After the
presentation, Mora will sign books at the UNM Bookstore, and people will have an opportunity to talk to her.
Mora said she’s looking forward to her visit.

“Speaking to others gives me energy for my writing,” she said. “One of my favorite parts of
speaking to any audience is having the opportunity to hear their questions. I am always fascinated by questions other people will have.”

Mora said increasing literacy in the United States is most important.
“We need to be a country of readers,” she said. “Literature connects us, forms us and entertains us. I love words so much that I want all of the next generation to be active readers.”

That’s why, Mora said, she gives class presentations.

“I hope that when people listen to writers, they can become inspired. We all need a creative outlet. We all need to nurture our creative life,” she said. “I hope that when people listen to me chat about my work, they will be a little bit more convinced to invest in themselves.”