8125_bakstballf.jpg

Chad Adams battles for the ball with Detroit Mercy’s Evan Bruinsma on Nov. 14. The Lobos will play NMSU on Saturday in Las Cruces..

Rivalry game will season freshman players

The young UNM men’s basketball team might have hit its toughest road bump of the season so far into the early 2010-11 season: back-to-back away games.

After annihilating Southern Illinois 74-59 Wednesday in Carbondale, Ill., the Lobos head down south to the Pan American Center.
It’s now time for the rival.

Head coach Steve Alford said the defense has and will be the key for UNM to dominate NMSU.

“I think what you want to do as the best defense … is take away the best offense,” he said. “If you make them do something that they’re not comfortable doing or something that’s different.”

Alford has owned the Aggies. He is 5-1, including four straight wins in six games against NMSU.

As for the freshman on the team, they have the guidance of Lobos who have experienced the rivalry first hand.

Lone senior Dairese Gary said he is looking forward to his last trip to NSMU.

“You know New Mexico State and New Mexico, that game is always intense,” Gary said. “This is the last game (for me), and I would like to go out on top. So we’re going to see what’s going to happen.”

Gary has been consistent throughout the Lobos’ six games this season. But aside from the numbers, Gary has become a leader, Alford said.

“If it’s a road trip or a home game, Dairese is our guy,” Alford said. “He has been through the wars. If there is a blueprint, Dairese knows what that is, and I think that he is looking at 81 victories now out of this guy. He knows how to win and he is doing a very good job with leadership.”

As for another veteran, Phillip McDonald has excelled for the Lobos since he returned from an elbow injury that sidelined him for the Lobos’ first two regular-season games.

Against Southern Illinois, McDonald had 11 points and nine rebounds.
McDonald said he is ready to roll over NMSU.

“They’re going to be a tough team because it’s a rivalry game,” he said.