Local summer internships

It’s difficult to think about summer when the winter winds are still stinging your face, but warm weather will be here sooner than you think. There’s more to consider than planning your getaway, and if you really want to make your summer worthwhile, you might consider an internship.

The Daily Lobo is aware of all the employers that take advantage of bright-eyed, bushy-tailed students, crushing their hopes of a valuable experience by sending them on inane errands when they’re not busy making coffee. We did you the favor of scrounging for some local options that advertised legitimate, hands-on experiences.

Architecture or engineering at Merrick & Company
Mid-May through mid-August
Unpaid

Requirements: Interested applicants must be U.S. citizens, entering their third year or higher of professional studies, and pursuing a degree in architecture.

Your compulsive need for precise, clean lines and eye for design may chafe your less-than-perfectionist friends, but may win you this internship. Here, they’ll set you to work with designing and proposing projects. If you’re endeared to measurements over aesthetics, they also have internships in civil, electrical, mechanical, chemical, process and structural engineering. The fiercest competitors will have skills such as knowledge of AutoCAD, Photoshop, SketchUp, Revit or Bentley. Preferred candidates will have proof of their work ethic by holding a 3.0 GPA or higher. For more information and to apply, visit Merrick.com and click on the “Career Center” tab, select the “day in the life” listing from the drop-down menu, and select the “Interning at Merrick” link.

Residential Intern at Dismas House New Mexico
Available now until position is filled
Housing provided plus a $200 monthly stipend and $200 monthly food allowance

Requirements: Interested applicants should have a Bachelor of Arts or Master of Arts degree, or be a current student of sociology, psychology or social work. Leave your corporate agenda at the door, because they give preference to those interested in grassroots organizations or with previous experience working with individuals who have a history of substance abuse, incarceration, or mental and emotional challenges.

If you think you’re made of tougher stuff than most, but have managed to balance that with a sense of care and responsibility for others, try spending your time with those who have done time — behind bars. Interns here help people make the transition back into society from incarceration. Their methods include a variety of therapeutic services, interventions, group therapy sessions and substance abuse and recovery education. It is a live-in position, so be prepared to work closely with two evening staff members to mentor and supervise residents, as well as assist with house management. Marshmallow softies and pushovers beware: This internship entails administration of breathalyzer tests, providing emotional support to residents and enforcing rules when necessary. For more information and to apply, call (505) 343-0746.

Event Planner for American Cancer Society
Dates unspecified
Unpaid

Requirements: Interested applicants should be full-time students with a 3.0 GPA and should have advanced beyond freshman academic status. Those interested must be competent in Microsoft Office 7 and able to lift and move up to 25 pounds.

Sure, you get a lot of laughs with your “Save the Ta-tas” bumper sticker, but maybe you want to do more for the cause than tickle people pink. The American Cancer Society is looking for interns to help organize “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer,” a fund-raising event that raises up to $1 million. Anyone interested in public relations or working with people, might enjoy the job. The position entails coordinating volunteers, planning staff meetings, managing the website and securing donations, handling marketing, advertising and sending press releases. For more information and to apply, visit indeed.com, enter “planning intern” into the “what” search bar, and enter Albuquerque, N.M. into the “where” search bar. The position is listed as “Nonprofit Program Support Intern.”

Visual Merchandising at Urban Outfitters
Spring or summer semester
Application Deadline: nothing specific, but the sooner the better
Unpaid, college credit

Requirements: Must be enrolled in an accredited college at the time of the internship. Experience in fine arts, applied arts, design or architecture is preferred.

It won’t save you from the dregs of the artist occupation for now, but at least you can get college credit. Urban Outfitters interns are responsible for the store’s visual display, including store windows, platforms, shelving and jewelry cases. In others words, there is a method to the creepy mannequins that haunt the storefronts. Familiarity with installations, various textiles, power tools, fashion trends and a rudimentary knowledge of construction are a plus. According to the website, applicants should stop by the store from 10 a.m. – 3p.m. and talk to the store manager in person. It is located at 3225 Central Ave. N.E.