Steven Mo Fye

The Setonian
News

Pot legalization supporters back benefits

New Mexico has long been the site of a struggle regarding marijuana. The state historically is one of the big thoroughfares for the illegal smuggling of weed from Mexico, and curanderos have been using it for folk medicine in the Southwest for even longer. One of the most vocal advocates for the legalization of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational or industrial use is Bryan Krumm. Krumm, a licensed psychiatric nurse practitioner, said he recognized the benefits of marijuana and decided to become active in pushing for legalization when he got out of the Army in 1986. “I’d like to see the full legalization of marijuana and hemp nationwide. For food, for medicine, for fuel, for fiber uses,” Krumm said. “It has industrial and medical uses.”

Citizens opposed to the Santalina development adorn tractors from South Valley farms with signs before joining a parade to the offices of the Bernalillo County Commission to protest the development.
News

Santolina plan raises concerns for residents

More than 100 residents met downtown on Wednesday to protest against the proposed Santolina Master Plan. Members of nearly a dozen community organizations, along with five tractors belonging to local farmers, marched to the Bernalillo County Commission office to share their concerns about how the proposed city would affect the area’s already limited water supply. Virginia Necochea, executive director of the Center for Social Sustainable Systems, said despite their opposition to the plan, the Contra Santolina coalition is not an anti-growth group.

More articles »

More media »