Edgy `Godspell' finds niche

Some musicals suffer when staged in a small performance area, but "Godspell" is not one of them.

The musical is now running at Theatre X, in the basement of the College of Fine Arts. Theatre X gave the production the edge and intimacy it needs to influence the audience with its message.

The play opened with a complete blackout. The voice of Jesus, played by Chad Woodward, is heard, and the audience hears one of the many parables adapted from the Gospel of St. Matthew. The lights are turned up slowly to show a group of naãve, young disciples who learn the ways to "love their fellow man" during the production.

Jesus enters and tells the tales that aid in showing the disciples the difference between right and wrong. Woodward exudes a warmth and serenity in his performance as Jesus.

Jesus and the other characters tell each parable through improvisations. They act out the stories in pantomime and hilarious exaggerated impressions. Many of the impressions cross genders and ages.

"Godspell" is extremely comical. Much of its comedy comes from the improvising. The characters interact with the audience in a manner that is similar to a farce. Being so close to the action of the play was a bit intruding, especially when locking eye contact with the cast at inopportune moments. Yet, because of that same intrusion, the messages and the visuals in the play have an impact that is usually lost through a proscenium arch.

The scene in which Jesus is crucified upon a chain link fence, rather than a cross, is especially disturbing because of the proximity to the audience and the very emotionally driven art design.

The vocals in "Godspell" soundvery close to the original Broadway recording. The music and lyrics, written by Stephen Schwartz and John Michael-Tebelak, are timeless with an array of genres, though they were originally written in 1971.

An on-stage band, thoughtfully hidden upstage right, overpowered the soloists during "Day By Day" and "By My Side," but Christine Casaus, who plays Sonia, a modern Mary Magdalene, sings "Turn Back O' Man" with fiery passion. She playfully seduces the men in the audience, inspiring them to whistle and shout.

This show is very enjoyable, and there is no doubt of the hard work that went into the production. Director Tim Rennick, who also plays the character Jeffery, said he was especially happy with the final product.

"I have a really talented ensemble to work with," he said. "I'm totally proud of the work that went into it and I feel really proud of my cast."

"Godspell" is appropriate for people of all ages and sends a beautiful message and is a good, modern rendition of the story of Jesus Christ. Kevin Elder, who plays John the Baptist and Judas, said, "You don't have to be a Christian to enjoy it. The show is about Christian morals, but I think the ideas behind them should be taught, like the idea to respect each other."

"Godspell" will run for a second week Feb. 14 through 17 at Theatre X. All shows start at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $8 for general admission, $6 for students, faculty and staff, $2 for theater majors, and can be bought at the UNM Ticket Office by calling 277-4569, or visiting any www.tickets.com outlet.