With freedom comes personal responsibility

Despite what Richard Berthold says, it is not inconsistent for his freedom of speech to be protected and that he be reprimanded for unprofessional conduct.

The U.S. Constitution and statements of professorial ethics are clear that faculty and students share equal rights to freedom of expression. And, at the same time, students and faculty are subject to some restraint - but not prior restraint - on their expression. No, there is not an "official list of inappropriate works and expressions." There is, however, an explicit and implied expectation that each individual exercise professional judgment, common sense and basic civility.

Professor Berthold implies that professional misconduct is limited to ". such things as plagiarism, assaulting colleagues, misusing funds and discriminating in grading." He finds it "chilling that the University of New Mexico now apparently considers saying things that someone finds offensive to be included on the list."

Time for a history lesson, professor.

Faculty members, including Berthold, are subject to the "Statement on Professional Ethics" contained within Appendix V of the UNM Policy on Academic Freedom and Tenure. - the full text can be found at the UNM Faculty Senate Web site in the Faculty Handbook, click on "Policy on Academic Freedom and Tenure," at http://www.unm.edu/~facsen/newhb.html.

The UNM faculty long ago adopted the AAUP policy which states, in part:

".membership in the academic profession carries with it special responsibilities. The (American) Association (of University Professors) has consistently affirmed these responsibilities in major policy statements, providing guidance to professors in such matters as their utterances as citizens, (and) the exercise of their responsibilities to students and colleagues ..."

".As teachers, professors encourage the free pursuit of learning in their students. They hold before them the best scholarly and ethical standards of their discipline. Professors demonstrate respect for students as individuals and adhere to their proper roles as intellectual guides and counselors. ... They avoid any exploitation, harassment, or discriminatory treatment of students. ..."

"As colleagues, professors have obligations that derive from common membership in the community of scholars ... professors show due respect for the opinions of others. ..."

Not only does the policy provide these guidelines, it states procedures for discipline and sanction of faculty whose conduct is unprofessional.

I applaud the administration for sanctioning Richard Berthold for calling a student "an idiot" and "stupid." Yes, he has the right to say it. And, they have the right - and the responsibility - to enforce the Statement of Professional Ethics that the faculty has adopted, if they follow procedure and due process. And his conduct in public is an appropriate subject for consideration during post-tenure review and review for promotion.

It is irresponsible to defend the freedoms of a professor without recognizing and honoring the obligations that go with those freedoms.

- Joel Nossoff

UNM staff member