Dull, lengthy lectures face major competition

UNM offers new program featuring more interaction

Students can now choose field trips and hands-on activities over the lengthy, dull lectures often associated with the courses students are required to take to earn a UNM degree.

The University is offering a new interdisciplinary program that combines three courses in different subjects using a common theme. The courses count toward the core credits students need to graduate.

The Hewlitt Interdisciplinary Clusters, which are being funded by a 3-year, $150,000 grant from the Hewlitt Foundation and a matching $150,000 contributed by the university, are open to all UNM students.

"We're really excited about this pilot project because it offers both faculty and students the opportunity to work together in a very creative, unique way," said Nancy Uscher, interim associate provost, who co-wrote the application for the grant. "When a group of us came up with this grant idea, we were looking for ways to improve the way we teach students and make the core curriculum really sparkle."

Three groups of courses will be offered during the fall semester by professors who have spent the first year training for the new program. Professors will work together to maintain the cluster's theme in each course. The cluster counts for nine hours of credit toward UNM's core requirements.

"Real life is not divided into departments - it is multi-disciplinary," Uscher said. "Real life is about problem solving through linking knowledge and sharing different perspectives. It's about better understanding how to think critically and creatively."

Uscher said a premium was placed on making the courses innovative and encouraging students to think in different ways. The courses will feature field trips and a more interactive classroom experience.

Uscher said the professors are excited about the program and are looking forward to working with students in their unique classes.

"It is nine hours of group work and students will really be pushed to make the most of the their time, but I think they will find it very rewarding," she said. "My goal is that we fully use the resources we have to open up different ways for UNM students to learn."

Uscher added that part of the reason why UNM won the grant was because no other research university has tried a program like the Hewlitt clusters.

"I can't think of a better project for us to take on that blends our biggest strengths - amazing teachers and wonderful students," she said. "I am looking forward because the possibilities for this program are endless."

Six clusters will be taught during the second year of the grant, with three being offered each semester.

"Language, Performance and Identity in Nuevo Mexicano Culture" will be taught by Dorothy Baca of the Theatre and Dance Department, Eduardo Hern†ndez-Ch†vez from Linguistics and Chicano Studies and Enrique LaMadrid from the Spanish Department. The course's call number is 14501.

"Family as a Complex System in Life and in Literature" will be taught by Allen Parkmen from the Anderson Schools of Management, Susanne Beckmann from the Foreign Languages Department and Jan Schuetz from the Communication and Journalism Department. The course's call number is 16949.

"Medicine and Culture" will be taught by Ben Daitz from the Medical School, Peter White from the English Department and Patrice Depar from the Music Department. The course's call number is 11869.

The three spring clusters are titled "Representations of the Psyche," "Bodies in Movement, Language in Space" and "Persuasion in Society: The Medium and the Message." For more information on the program, call 277-2611.