Union accepts 6.5 percent increase

Members of the United Staff of UNM educational support unit approved a University offer Wednesday night that will give 1,050 employees represented by the union a 6.5 salary increase.

During a voice vote, 65 members of the union, who represent a majority of active members, approved the agreement.

“I’m really happy, and I’m really excited about it,” said Terry Mulcahy, a union spokesman and UNM staff member. “It’s a good first step for the union and is a sign of great things to come.”

The union approved a measure that will allow bargaining unit employees to receive a 6.5 percent increase if the regularly hourly rate falls within the assigned pay range. If the increase causes them to exceed the pay range, union members will receive the increase in two equal lump sums that will be awarded in December 2001 and June 2002.

The agreement also states that all University business policies and procedures except for the wage increases will continue for bargaining unit employees for the term of the agreement, which is June 30, 2001 through June 30, 2002.

If the University considers changes to the policy and procedures that would affect the bargaining unit, it must provide the union with a copy of the proposed changes and the union will be given the chance to provide written input regarding the changes.

The Board of Regents still must approve the matter, but the regents have largely fallen in line with the University administration’s decisions on labor issues.

“We didn’t negotiate everything, but we specifically focused on salary increases because we only had two months to work with,” said Harry Norton, a union representative and UNM staff member. “The important thing is that we actually got the full amount that was recommended by the state Legislature. We think that this is the first time that has actually happened.”

Mulchahy said now that the union has secured the pay increases, it will revisit grievances that fall under the policy and procedure section that remained unchanged in the agreement.

“We will get to the grievance process, but this was the best issue to deal with first,” he said. “This is what people have been saying — that they wanted their raises in July. We had to come up with an agreement fast and we did that. Now we have time to talk about all the other issues we want to address.”

Critics of the union had said the negotiation process would hamper staff members’ ability to gain state legislated pay increases in a timely manner.

“I think this certainly validates us, and I know we certainly felt validated tonight,” Mulchahy said. “No one expected the University to give us 6.5 percent across the board. Rarely do salary increases truly reach everyone at an even rate, but we have shut down merit pay and are now on a level playing field.”