Column: Socializing eases college transition

As you begin to forge in new directions this fall semester, it might be important to examine the nature and extent of your connections with others. For many, this fall represents multiple transitions — interpersonal, geographic, cultural, academic and work.

Transitions are expected to be stressful and often painful. Becoming connected with others and developing a stable, interpersonal support system for yourself in your new environment can help you navigate new waters with greater comfort and ease.

Man is, by nature, a social animal.

Most people, when deprived of meaningful, human interactions, function less effectively.

It’s normal to want to belong and to find a place for oneself with and among others. We know from research that:

l Doctoral students who connected with their peers for mutual support and assistance were more likely to complete their degrees.

l Individuals with multiple and diverse social contacts were less susceptible to colds.

l Partners with good, healthy relationships had better functioning immune responses.

l Medical students who rated themselves as less lonely had significantly better immune response to an induced virus than medical students who rated themselves lonelier.

l People with social support were more likely to survive a heart attack.

l People with strong social ties had lower mortality rates compared to their peers without such connections.

Researchers now believe that strong social connections help us in buffering ourselves from the stresses of daily life. Although some would say that being a student is not stressful, many academic programs are very stressful.

In addition, many students have other major responsibilities beyond school such as jobs, finances, souses, children and cultural and religious duties.

When you combine those causes of stress with the adaptations needed to cope in a new environment, most students can use the most social support and encouragement they can get.

Do a self-examination of the people in your interpersonal system — find out who you can count to be there for you.

Be sure to maintain contact with those individuals whether they are here, or on the other side of the globe.

Snail mail, e-mail, phone or a visit are all viable ways to stay connected with those relationships already in your network.

Take initiative in the University environment to get to know others — there are many vehicles to assist you.

Volunteer a little time for the student government.

Get involved with a student organization that is congruent with your interests and values.

Explore various campus religious organizations.

Sign up and participate in the leisure services activities at Johnson Center.

Participate in the programming offered through residence life.

Check out the programs and services available at the ethnic centers, women’s center and international students’ center.

Consider participation in the student-driven program at the Student Health Center.

Invite a classmate or associate to have an herbal tea or soft drink with you.

Watch for film programming and get a small group together to enjoy a movie.

Make it a habit to get a group together to attend athletic events or cultural activities at Popejoy Hall.

The Albuquerque environment offers many other options that you and friends or acquaintances can take advantage of together.

Whether its people watching at the Flying Star, attending craft shows, going to the Nature Center or zoo, hiking in the Sandias, joining a local club soccer team, walking the bosque or joining the Southwest Writer’s Workshop, Albuquerque offers diverse activities that can be a lot of fun.

And you may say, “Who has time for all that stuff?”

We say that taking time to be with others and growing connections will, in the long run, help you be more productive and efficient when you need to hit the books or focus on some other responsibility.

Why? Because you have been taking care of your human need to belong.

Carol Wagner Adams is the manager of Counseling and Therapy Services at the Student Health Center. She earned her doctorate from Indiana State University and is a licensed psychologist in New Mexico.

Dr. Olga Eaton is the director of the Student Health Center. She received her medical degree from the University of Colorado and is board eligible in internal medicine.