COLUMN: Student government not all bad

Once, I was telling a friend about my past involvement in UNM student government. She laughed and said that she thought student government was like "playing house."

She went on to describe how many student activists revel in playing politics and acting like important people, but have very little effect on the real world and the lives of the students they "supposedly" represent.

Sadly, her cynical description reflects the opinions many students have about campus politics. A common student complaint is that campus insiders spend their time bickering about things that the average student doesn't care about.

Having been a part of UNM student government for nearly three years, I witnessed many arguments between groups on campus. I have seen Greeks and athletes clash with progressive groups and ethnic centers. Over and over this battle between student groups is perpetuated by closed mindedness and stereotypes on both sides. The circular battle over the supposed "power" on campus has resulted in some of the worst political mudslinging and group politics I have ever seen.

So, are people right to say that campus politics is just a bunch of rÇsumÇ building, egotistical, overly ambitious students whining over who controls $100 worth of funding for snacks at student group meetings?

Should student activists just grow up and find real causes to fight for?

The truth is that students are indeed fighting for real causes such as protecting the environment and strengthening the quality of our educations. However, the student groups also reflect the negative bickering that we see in our own city, state and national government.

Congress fights with the president and the governor argues with the Legislature, just like fraternities argue with ethnic centers. And out of all this conflict come unhappy people who are left feeling marginalized by the squabbling of self-proclaimed leaders and activists.

The real issue at hand is what are we doing as a society to improve our communities and our living environments.

Whether it is as student senator, a sorority president, a progressive activist or all three, the best part of being active and concerned about a group or an issue is to help people. I believe that students are fighting for just and real causes, but group differences are taking away from any real progress for the whole.

UNM has touted diversity as its major character strength, yet we are unable to use the strengths of each group to improve the educational experience for students.

Sometimes I feel that UNM is made up of tiny island nations that are held together only geographically. Each island nation is a group of student activists, victims of their own perceived power, vying for recognition and more land.

Sadly, as a student leader I was unable to recognize this problem until I was outside the mainstream of campus politics. Now I watch as students and student groups continue to make the same mistakes as ambitious and optimistic freshman start the cycle and those who have learned their lessons graduate and leave.

I still have a great deal of faith in my University, though. I believe that young people and student activists can be the first to put the well being of their community before the well being of their reputations.

UNM student groups are capable of understanding each other and working together to accomplish real and tangible change. Student leaders are bright enough to open their minds to different people and different ideas.

Maybe this year UNM students will set the example for democracy instead of adding to the discontent.