Regents add Taos branch, cut ties with crisis center

The UNM Board of Regents voted last week to end its association with one Albuquerque institution while expanding its ties to Taos.

The Albuquerque Rape Crisis Center board of directors sought to break ties with UNM so it could become a nonprofit organization eligible for federal funding and tax-free donations. The crisis center has been affiliated with the UNM Health Sciences Center since its inception in 1980, but receives no funding from the University.

The regents approved a resolution that asks the University to draft acceptable terms for the split. It also asks the UNM Foundation to turn over about $60,000 donated in the crisis center’s name as soon as the organization proves its nonprofit status.

“We are pleased to have worked with the Rape Crisis Center in the past and certainly will continue to have a working relationship with it in the future,” said Julie Weaks, vice president for Business and Finance. “This was just an administrative decision that puts the center in a better funding position.”

The regents also approved the Taos Education Center administration’s second attempt at establishing itself as a UNM branch campus.

The Board of Regents first approved its petition in 1998, but the Commission on Higher Education tabled the request because administrators did not demonstrate a clear enough understanding of the responsibilities associated with being a branch campus.

“We are confident that we have a greater understanding of what we need to do and have grown a great deal since our first petition,” said Katie Mares, Taos Education Center associate director of student services.

If the center is recognized as a branch campus, it will be eligible for more state general funds. The center started in 1980 with between 200 to 300 students and now serves about 1,000.

“This move will help us recruit additional faculty, improve support services for our students and give us great access to the UNM General Library,” Mares said.

Regent President Larry Willard said he is pleased that the center continued its push for branch campus status.

“Any time you visit Taos, you really get a good feeling about the positive connection people have with the University of New Mexico,” he said. “It’s always just amazing to see how many people take classes at the education center. Making the center a branch campus is a very positive step.”

During the same meeting, the regents approved renewal of the GM Southwest as the insurance provider for the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program. The program, which began last year, provides graduate assistants with health insurance.

“We basically are just renewing this contract because it worked well the first year, and we would like to see it continue for a second for continuity purposes,” Weaks said. “We will be putting this contract out for bid next year.”

The regents also approved the selection of Dekker Perich Sabatini as the architects for the new Health Sciences Center Education Building. The Albuquerque firm will supervise the $40-million project that will be north and adjacent to the Health Sciences Center. It will contain 129,000 square feet of electronically-enhanced classrooms, simulation laboratories and will be equipped for telemedicine, virtual reality and distance education. The center also will feature food services, a bookstore and student study and service space.

The center will serve the UNM schools of medicine, nursing and pharmacy.

The next Board of Regents meeting is Sept. 11 at 1 p.m. in the Roberts Room, Room 230, of Scholes Hall.