Bjork’s ‘Vespertine’ ethereal, passionate

Iceland’s electronic dream continues to enchant with flare

Throughout her newest, extremely audacious release, Vespertine, Bjork weaves in and out of her smartly composed progressions with passion while successfully integrating electronics with classic instrumentation.

Vespertine, an authentically contemporary record, constantly sings with fantastic experimentation, all thanks to Apple computers and Bjork’s fresh musical talent. Vespertine showcases magnificent angelic vocals, which beam in and out of various tracks, creating landscapes that are frighteningly beautiful and sometimes overwhelming.

The memorable album starts out with “Hidden Place,” an exemplary track that shows the hair-standing power of Bjork’s melodic capabilities. This track, which is the first single off Vespertine, can also be purchased in DVD version and in two different CD versions that include some B-sides from the record. The DVD version caught my attention because it’s particularly modern of Bjork in simultaneously releasing video footage along with her singles. Sure, you have to pay a little more, but what the hell. Bjork’s definitely worth a couple extra dollars.

“It’s Not up to You,” a song that practically forces me to drop to my knees, reveals the true, subtle power of Bjork’s voice. Within Vespertine, Bjork constantly introduces simple chimes, harps, flutes and electronic rhythms that ring and grasp your attention like none other. On “Undo,” Bjork sings and layers, creating beautiful vocal-oriented landscapes that compose pure energy.

“Pagan Poetry,” a contradiction of urban love, continues to layer classic instrumentation while combining sampled moments throughout. These particular moments are keystones in the crafted rhythms that project a calm, soothing atmosphere. On “Aurora,” Bjork utilizes a harp in combination with coated, ethereal vocals to create an incredibly inspiring and practically visual composition. Bjork also shows proficiency at abstracting compositions with the help of Apple computers and her voice that is in no way comparable with any other.

In “Sun in My Mouth,” she extends an e.e. cummings poem, steals words while successfully complimenting them with hauntingly inspiring and stylized vocals. Throughout all of this, she manages to create a feeling of neutrality that causes extreme ease while simultaneously stirring new emotions in my head.

Bjork’s three previous records have all been extreme successes, each different while progressing electronically with the times. She has proven herself to be a vital figure in the production of electronic-modern music, and again, I am more then happy to throw down $15 for a fantastic record to add to my growing record collection. It’s easy to see that Bjork is constantly giving everything she has to her music. She is singing about love, freedom and personal experience — three things that almost everyone can relate to in some way. She possesses an obvious, unique presence on her records.