Eclectic performance to benefit Red Cross

College of Fine Arts unites for charitable event Saturday

UNM piano professor Pamela Pyle moved to Albuquerque from New York City three weeks before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and said she has felt helpless searching for a way to help the victims.

As a result, Pyle has worked with others in the College of Fine Arts to organize "Raising Our Voices" a benefit performance for the American Red Cross Saturday at 8 p.m. in Popejoy Hall.

"When this happened, I really wished I was back there to help, but then I thought, 'I'm a pianist, what can I do?'" she said. "Then I realized that while I couldn't do something there, I could do something here that would both benefit the victims and give the Albuquerque community a chance to both grieve and help."

Half the funds raised during the event will go to the American Red Cross chapter supporting victims of the attacks on the East Coast, and the remainder will go to the Rio Grande Red Cross chapter, which has received diminished donations. The group organizing the event hopes to raise more than $10,000.

Event organizers have already raised $2,000 to cover expenses and insure all money collected goes to the Red Cross.

UNM President Bill Gordon said that the event represents one more positive way the University has been able to respond following the terrorist attacks.

"This is a tremendous event unlike any other we have ever had, and I would encourage the community to participate in something like this," he said.

The performance will feature UNM faculty and students from the music, theater, dance and art departments.

The Theatre and Dance Department is being represented by playwrights Digby Wolfe and Jim Linnell, theater professor Henry Bial, flamenco artist Eva Encinias-Sandoval, choreographer Jennifer Predock-Linnell, members of the Bill Evans Dance Company and professor Rujeko Dumbutshena performing African dance.

The Music Department features David Felberg conducting a faculty and student orchestra with Kevin Vigneau on English horn and Jeff Piper on trumpet performing Aaron Copland's "Quiet City." Pyle, singer Bradley Ellingboe, classical guitarist Michael Chapdelaine, UNM student women's choir Las Cantantes and members of the UNM Marimba Band also will perform.

Art Department professor Margery Amdur's studio class is creating an abstract tree of life based on Gustav Klimt's painting "Tree of Life." The student work will be on display in the lobby. Special lights designed by professor Basia Irland will be on stage during the performances.

Pyle said that Amdur's class is still completing the tree project, but is hoping to design it in a way that people can tie prayers to the branches.

"Art isn't always a participatory sort of event for the audience, but I am thrilled that this group is trying to make it one for the community's benefit," she said.

Tickets for the event are $7.50 for adults, $5 for students and $3 for children. Pyle said the prices are lower than most UNM fine arts events because she wanted to make sure it was accessible to the community.

"I want everyone in Albuquerque, especially those who would not normally attend an event like this, to know that they are welcome," she said. "The dance performances alone range from African dance to flamenco and so much more. I really like that we have been able to put together a lineup with something for everyone."

Pyle, an assistant music professor and director of UNM's Collaborative Piano Program, said that another benefit of the event is that the University's fine arts programs are working together on a project to benefit the community.

"I am very excited that this is a group effort and hope to see more collaborative efforts in the future," she said. "This isn't a multi-media event where you have art, music and theater represented on stage at the same time, but you do have us working together, which is great. I've been told that this is one of the first times a collaborative event like this has happened at UNM. For me it's a huge thrill, and I hope it's just a sign of great things to come."