Regents OK law school renovation, UNM audit

Committee looks at recommendations made by outside firm

The Board of Regents' Finance and Facilities Committee elected approved phase two of renovation at the law school and the results of a UNM audit during its meeting Monday.

The second phase of the Bratton Hall Renovations and Frederick M. Hart Addition at the law school will focus on refurbishing the existing facilities, many of which are nearly 32 years old. The $2.5 million project will improve heating, lighting, cooling and security systems, as well as reconfigure 46,100 square feet of existing space, including classrooms and the library. In addition, an elevator will be added that meets the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The total project cost, which includes phase one - the 32,000 square-foot Hart Addition - is estimated to cost between $6.5 and $11 million when completed.

The project is to be funded mostly by private donations. Law School Dean Robert Desiderio said the school had spoken for about $9.3 million and expected to raise an additional $1.5 million.

The committee also approved an external audit of UNM's finances for financial year 2000-2001 performed by financial consultant KPMG. Company spokesman Cynthia Reinhart said the audit, which will be released to the public after approval by the full board and an exit interview, found no major problems or weaknesses with the UNM accounting system.

The auditors did make several recommendations, including:

Creation of a network firewall to prevent outside access to computer systems.

l Improvement of the accounts receivable system in the Health Sciences Center. The current manual system makes transfer of information between the Center and main campus inefficient, the audit said.

l More frequent reconciliation of intercompany account payables and receivables between the hospital and the Health Sciences Center. Currently, the balances are reconciled once a year. KPMG recommends quarterly analysis.

All measures approved the committee are forwarded to the full board for consideration during its next meeting, Nov. 30.