Williams tribute album amazing

'Timeless' brings an eclectic together group of musicians

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think about the words "country music?" Do you conjure a beer full of tears, running over your own cow with your truck or dueling banjos?

For most of my life, I thought country needed to contain these elements. I used to think it was the worst genre of music until, a year ago, under my friend's guidance, I started to listen to what some might consider country music. No, not corporate, Big-I 107.9 country, no line dancing and no boot scootin' boogeyin.' Pop music with a twang, if you will - those rootsy, Texas barroom dirges popularized by Lucinda Williams and the now-defunct Uncle Tupelo.

And before long, I was fascinated with post alt-country musicians such as Ryan Adams, Trailerbride and Neko Case. Along with that, I've developed a healthy respect for the founders - now every time I hear Hank Williams' voice a pleasurable chill runs up and down my spine. Every sound he utters is filled with extreme emotion.

The recently-released Timeless brings together an eclectic group of contemporary musicians running the gamut from hipsters to road-weary rock stars to pay tribute to Williams Sr., who is recognized as the father of modern country music.

The twelve artists featured on the album have somehow conjured up Williams Sr. from the grave. Each song brings you into a state of understanding what it means to be blue. Featured artists include Bob Dylan, Sheryl Crow, blues artist Keb' Mo,' Beck, Mark Knopfler, Tom Petty, Keith Richards, Emmylou Harris, Hank Williams III, Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams and the man in black himself, Johnny Cash.

What makes this tribute so cohesive is each of the artists on the album are amazing singer/songwriters in their own right.

My favorite track is Whiskeytown's ex lead vocalist Ryan Adams' cover of "Lovesick Blues." Adams voice is extremely captivating because he is able to do that weird yodeling maneuver that makes Williams' music so instantly recognizable.

Being cheated on by your girl and being a heartbreaker yourself are the roots of Adams' solo albums, so he's a shoe-in candidate for Hank Williams covers. His crystal clear vocals over the spare backing band make me feel like I'm listening to a friend sing about being alone with his loneliness in a packed bar: "Such a beautiful dream, I hate to think it all over,/ I've lost my heart it seems, I've grown so used to you somehow./ Well, I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, I'm lonesome,/ I've got the lovesick blues."

Beck has always had a country/ blues flare about his music. Cash covered Beck's "Rowboat" from Steropathetic Soul Manure on his album Unchained. Like Adams, Beck is a perfect candidate for doing a Hank Williams redux. His take on "Your Cheatin' Heart" makes you forget he didn't write it. In fact, I wanted to go out and comfort Beck's broken heart.

Other standouts include Crow's honky-tonk spin on "Long Gone Lonesome Blues," and Lucinda Williams' haunting "Cold, Cold Heart."

If you like music that comes from the pain of love gone wrong this is the album for you. If you loathe most country music, this album is a must, because it might just change your mind. Overall, this album is wonderful to put on when you are down in bluesville or if you just love Hank Williams.