Ferrell's latest effort a disappointment

Song Yet To Be Sung' should have stayed that way

What the hell happened to Perry Ferrell?

After listening to his latest CD, Song Yet To Be Sung, I'm so disappointed. For years and years, Perry Ferrell was the dependable beacon releasing fantastic music amid the filth. Obviously, those days are gone. Ferrel has pissed on his streak with the mediocrity of Song Yet To Be Sung.

Ferrell has always been more of a muse than a musician. He has this charismatic quality that penetrates and lingers. His songs usually left the listener wanting more and listening to Jane's Addiction was an absolute pleasure. Nothing's Shocking rested in my Sony Carousal for years because I just couldn't get enough of it. When the group broke up, I didn't really care much. In fact, I was happy because I knew that something good was on the way.

Enter Porno for Pyros - another group of great musicians lead by Ferrell's hypnotic charisma. The band, however, eventually broke up after making some fantastic music. No problem. Ferrell loves to self-destruct and recreate, and that's what I love about him - as long as it's good.

Unfortunately, Song Yet To Be Sung is a huge disappointment.

The new Ferrell is an imposter. I know it's not him. Perry would never release a record like Song Yet To Be Sung, would he? The truth is that he would, and yes, this is really happening. Ferrell has released a bomb.

The ridiculous record starts out with "Happy Birthday Jubilee," an idiotic, immature track that really kicks off the record poorly. The sound and aesthetics used within the song's structure make it a drag to hear.

"Seeds," another track, is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. A monkey could have written the programming - while lyrically, it is quite insipid. I could go through and say terrible things about each of these tracks, but I'm not about wasting people's time, including my own. Basically, the whole record is full of poorly produced, clichÇ sounds that are horribly programmed and dryly personalized.

Programming is a delicate process these days because it requires so much attention and it's very competitive. Ferrell should practice a lot more. He's had since 1996, and if this is the best that he can do, he should start painting or something.

Maybe I'm too persnickety, but I know that Ferrell could have put out a much better record. An imposter is among us, and he wants us to buy his filthy record. No thanks.