Truce on Tuition?

UNM administration and students are working to avoid more rancor. Will it work?

Administrators and many students have not forgotten the fallout from last year's 15 percent tuition and fee increase, so both are fighting to avoid facing the same problem again in April.

The University has raised tuition 46 percent during the past six years, setting the cost of attending UNM at $3,026 annually for a full-time, in-state undergraduate student.

While students were vocal during an April 10 tuition meeting when the last increase was approved, the Board of Regents and administrators insist that their hands are tied when it comes to such decisions.

"We have always said that it is at about this time, during the Legislative session, when our state appropriation is determined, that the real decisions about tuition increases are made," UNM President Bill Gordon said. "We have to work with the money that the state gives us and there are a number of factors that are largely determined right now that dictate which direction we are really forced to go in."

Many of the factors that prompted last year's tuition increase are hurdles that UNM must again clear this year.

Legislative funding formulas that don't match UNM's, the need for staff and faculty salary increases, soaring costs and declining revenues have all combined to make this year especially bleak for UNM.

The tuition credit is among the more daunting problems for the University. The credit is the percentage imposed by the Legislature that is deducted from UNM's appropriation and that it is, in turn, expected to raise by increasing tuition.

"A credit sounds like a good thing, but it's basically like a tax on students," said Andrea Cook, president of the Associated Students of UNM.

Gordon said that the credit has been rather high in recent years and has been part of the force driving up costs for students.

"It basically gives us very little leeway," he said.

While the credit has been a liability, it is actually one of the few upsides about this year's trek to Santa Fe for funding.

The Commission on Higher Education and Council of University Presidents recommended no tuition credit, which follows UNM's request for one that is as low as possible.

Gordon called the Legislative Finance Committee's recommendation of a 1.5 percent tuition credit promising. Legislators on the committee make recommendations to both the House of Representatives and Senate.

"As low a credit as possible means the tuition credit won't automatically drive the cost of tuition up," he said. "What we have seen so far is something that we view as a real positive."

Cook testified before the Legislative Finance Committee Tuesday and urged the legislators not to impose a credit on UNM, telling them that many students could not handle another increase.

"When you think about raising tuition so much during a three-year period so that it's like a $1,000 increase, it just becomes so hard for a lot of students who have families or pay for school themselves to keep going to UNM," she said. "Students shouldn't be forced to pay more."

But the downside of the Legislative Finance Committee's recommendation is that it has called for no faculty or staff salary increases, a decision that extends to all state agencies.

Bringing those salaries in line with peer institutions has been one of the University's long-term goals and top priorities.

If administrators push for raises despite receiving no appropriation, students have the ingredients for a tuition increase.

"It's the result of the reduced projected revenues that will be available in the state next year," Gordon said.

He added that the 6.5 percent in salary increases last year for UNM alone cost $30 million, while the state revenue is expected to equal less than $5 million.

"The economic slowdown has hurt all government agencies and is a problem nationwide," he said. "We're expecting relatively flat, static budgets this year."

Economic slowdowns do translate to more people enrolling in colleges and universities, but because of the state's formulas, the impact would not translate into UNM funding for about three years. The only concrete help enrollment spikes would provide would come in the form of tuition not supplemented by the Legislature.

One of the University's other high priority items is to call for a change in the formula used to determine how much UNM receives for staff salary increases.

The current equation does not include student and institution support functions that range from the bursar's office to payroll and the registrar's office to the president, the highest paid University employee.

The mitigating factors have pushed a united, more educated effort to lobby legislators, which Gordon said has been good for the University.

"I think the effort put forth by students, the Faculty Senate, staff and even our alumni has been better during the past three years than I have seen in all the time I have been here," he said. "It's also an effort made by people who are more familiar than ever with the University's agenda and the reasoning behind it. People are informed, and in turn, more persuasive."

Regent Sandra Begay-Campbell, who abstained from last year's tuition increase vote, urged student leaders at this month's Board of Regents meeting to inform students that they should now be contacting legislators and making their opinions heard to avoid increases.

"As much as I want to make sure we don't have an increase, I believe that students must be educated and held accountable for what goes on here," she said. "They need to take an active role or we are all going to be in the same boat again, and nobody wants that."

Cook and the undergraduate students are sponsoring Student Day at the Legislature Tuesday morning and are encouraging students to meet in Santa Fe with their legislators on that day. She said those interested in participating can call the ASUNM office at 277-5528.

"Basically, we are going to bring students to legislators and let them know what the real impact of their decision will be," she said. "I do believe they listen to young people when they go there because there aren't a lot of young voices in Santa Fe and they recognize that. They want to see people our age who are really interested in government."

Rachel Jenks, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Association, also is urging students to contact legislators.

"We want people who are really hurt by these increases to let the people who can make a difference know about how they're feeling," she said. "Even if they can't go to Santa Fe, they can call or write letters."

For more information about contacting your legislator, visit legis.state.nm.us, and to contact Gov. Gary Johnson, visit www.governor.state.nm.us.