Web Exclusive: Wyoming stuns NCAA Gonzaga powerhouse in physical first round

NCAA Tournament darlings Gonzaga University left The Pit with a bitter taste in its mouth Thursday after being on the wrong end of a 73-66 upset by the University of Wyoming.

The Cowboys took advantage of their inside depth to set the tone for a physical game that clearly rattled the Bulldogs. Gonzaga posted a meek 26 percent shooting from the field, including 22 percent in the second half. Meanwhile, Wyoming shot 50 percent for the game, relying higher percentage shots.

"We played a very good basketball team tonight," Wyoming coach Steve McClain said. "Our kids had a great respect for Gonzaga; I think that's why we played with the intensity we did."

Gonzaga carried a 36-32 lead into the locker room and the game remained close throughout the second half, but Wyoming, backed by a rowdy contingent of fans, took control of the game in the final four minutes.

Trailing 60-56, with 4:06 remaining, the Cowboys mounted a 17-6 run to end the game. Forwards Marcus Bailey and Josh Davis made key drives to the basket to begin the rally. Davis then sealed the game with a block with little more than a minute remaining and followed it with a thunderous putback dunk of an Uche Nsonwu-Amadi missed layup.

If any doubt remained for Gonzaga faithful, who also turned out in droves, Davis wiped it away with his emphatic block of Bulldog All-American senior guard Dan Dickau's layup, punctuating the rejection by thumping his chest. The Cowboy roared with approval and Wyoming rode the Cindarella wave en route to one the biggest upsets posted during the first day of the NCAA Tournament.

Dickau fought back tears after leading the 'Zags with 26 points but going seven-of-24 from the field. Center Cory Violette was the only other Bulldog to score in double figures, finishing with 14.

Thursday's early exit was not the final note Dickau had in mind for his last game as a Bulldog, but the senior, who transferred from the University of Washington as a sophomore, says has no regrets.

"I made the best decision and should thank the coaches and everyone right now for all they have done for me because coming to play basketball at Gonzaga is the best thing to ever happen to me," he said. "It's just a great place to play."

Wyoming used a balanced attack to derail Gonzaga, led by their strong frontcourt. Nsonwu-Amadi finished with 14 points, six rebounds and one block. Marcus Bailey scored 13 points, grabbed five rebounds and rejected two shots. Davis scored the least of the trio with 11, but asserted the most significant pressence by hauling in 14 rebounds, blocking five shots and picking up two steals.

"I just felt like it was important to come out aggressively and follow our game plan," Davis said. "Things just worked out really well for us."

The 11th-seeded Cowboys, the Mountain West Conference champions, were largely overlooked heading into the matchup against the sixth-ranked Bulldogs. The 'Zags attracted more attention as a surging tournament team that had posted three consecutive Sweet 16 appearances but were given a lowly sixth seed.

While the loss dulled some of luster surrounding the Bulldog's recent run, head coach Mark Few said the mystique will likely remain because fans nationwide are attracted to the players' work ethic and attitude.

"These are just some of the best guys you could ever coach," he said. "They just work so hard and we never had a problem in the locker room all year long. They are very coachable, and I think that's why so many people in this country fell in love with them, for all the right reasons. We lost, but I think people will still respect these guys because they represent what is good about college basketball."

Wyoming now prepares for a Saturday showdown with third-seed University of Arizona, which favors a more finese style of play comparable to that of Gonzaga. The Wildcats made it to last year's championship game and are considered the favorites by many - except the Cowboys.

"If you don't walk into a gym expecting to win, you just shouldn't be there, you shouldn't be coaching," McClain said. "We go into every game expecting to win. That doesn't change just because the other team has a better number in front of their name. We came to play and we came to win and that's what we plan to do. Otherwise, what's the point?"