Frisbee infects UNM team

Hanta Virsu enjoys three wins, a festive tournament atmosphere

UNM's ultimate Frisbee team and several other rowdy schools refused to let uncooperative weather cloud their determination to have a good time during the weekend's Green Chile Festival Tournament on Johnson Field.

The tournament was equal parts aggressive Frisbee and pure entertainment, which was exemplified by the keg of beer that flowed freely on the sidelines.

With an emphasis on fun, UNM's team - known as Hanta Virus - greeted the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, New Mexico State University, Air Force Academy, Colorado State University and the Colorado School of the Mines.

Hanta Virus fought blustery weather and a parade of strong teams en route to a 3-1 record Saturday that put it in contention for the championship Sunday.

The team defeated the Air Force, Colorado State and the School of the Mines' B team, with its only loss at the hands of regionally-ranked University of Arizona.

But Sunday was not as successful for Hanta Virus, with the team defeating Arizona State University 13-6 but succumbing to the regionally-ranked School of the Mines 11-6 in the semifinals.

"It's tough, but we still think it was a good weekend because we played well as a team and competed with two of the top-ranked teams in our region - Colorado School of the Mines and University of Arizona," said Troy Woytek, one of Hanta Virus' captains. "It was our first big tournament of the spring and we played well overall despite some really bad weather."

Woytek said he was impressed with the way newer members of the team came together during the weekend.

"We played our butts off and had a chance to make it to the championship, but we just fell short," he said.

For fellow Hanta Virus captain Derek Samaras, it was the combination of strong play and having fun that made the tournament a success.

"We are playing better every time out on the field together, and this weekend, for the regular Saturday house party the host school puts on, we pulled off an ice luge that was really cool," he said.

Samaras explained that the teams took a 300-pound block of ice, drilled holes in it and poured a variety of hard liquor through the openings to make mixed drinks.

"We had such a great time that the cops raided the party - you really can't say that about any other UNM sport," he said. "We play hard and we have a lot of fun too."

Other tournament participants agreed that the festive atmosphere made for a great weekend.

"This sport is challenging, easy to learn and a lot of fun, especially with some of the huge parties," said Mike Garvey of Colorado.

Garvey is in his fifth and final year of eligibility for collegiate play. He added that he loved that the sport is co-ed and emphasizes tough play as much as socializing.

The nature of the sport itself has built camaraderie among collegiate Frisbee enthusiasts who regularly play in the Southwest.

"This game is great because there are no referees and the players call their own fouls," Samaras said. "That means we really rely on each other to be honest and just have fun."

New Mexico State team member Maureen McCamley never played sports until she began participating in ultimate Frisbee.

"This is the type of sport that a lot of people start with when they are in college just because it is so accessible and so much fun," McCamley said.

Samaras and a few friends charted the group as a student organization after spending endless days playing ultimate Frisbee on lower Johnson Field. Now the program has come full circle in just a few years, actively competing against the regions' top teams.

Next week, the Hanta Virus travels to Austin, Texas, for a tournament. Samaras said Texas A&M University will likely be Hanta Virus' fiercest competition.

The UNM team practices Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 4 p.m. on Johnson Field and always welcomes new members, both men and women. Its Web site is www.abqultimate.org.

"This sport is just a lot of fun, and I encourage everyone to just try it," Samaras said.