ASUNM to offer forum on possible fee changes

In an effort to avoid another clash with students and administrators over proposed tuition increases, the undergraduate student government is sponsoring a forum to discuss the issue on campus today.ear's proposed tuition increases and the process used to determine the changes today in Zimmerman Library's Willard Reading Room from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The Board of Regents will meet next week to set tentative increases that

Associated Students of UNM representatives, administrators and Student Regent Eric Anaya will discuss next ywould only change if the state Legislature drastically adjusted UNM's appropriation for the coming year. The administration has proposed a 4.3 percent increase for resident undergraduate and graduate students, a 10 percent increase for resident law students and a 5 percent increase for all medical students. Medical students are the only nonresidents who are facing a tuition increase.

The changes would move undergraduate tuition to $3,157, which is a $131 increase. Out-of-state undergraduates would continue paying $11,424 to prevent losing more nonresident students who might opt to attend other regional schools with comparable tuition rates. Graduate student residents will pay $3,485, which is a $144 increase, while their out-of-state peers will continue paying $11,777.

The tuition changes are relatively tame when compared to increases during the past six years that raised tuition 46 percent.

"We are pretty happy with the input that students had in this process, and we just want to continue making students aware about what is coming up," ASUNM President Andrea Cook said. "We were able to keep the increase very low this year, and while students hate to even see a dollar increase, most have said that they are fine with the changes that are being made."

The open discussions were added after students adamantly protested last year's tuition process, which saw rates increase by more than 8 percent. The student protesters, which included several ASUNM representatives, said they were not kept informed about potential changes and did not feel they were taken into consideration when increases were being discussed.