Lobos enter MWC tourney with confidence

The UNM women's golf team will try to continue its conference domination today when the Lobos compete in the Mountain West Conference Championships for three days in Bend, Ore.

The Lobos have won the only two titles in the conference, which is in its third year of existence. And similar to the previous two years, UNM is a heavy favorite to win the championship.

The Lobos have won two tournaments this season, are ranked 22nd in the nation and have four of the top five lowest scoring golfers in the conference.

"We have two wins against tough competition and that has prepared us for our conference, which has a weak field," head coach Jackie Booth said. "We know we have the players and the game to win."

UNM, which has the 19th toughest schedule in the country, won the 23rd-Annual Comcast/McGuire Invitational in September and the Wahine Golf Classic in late October.

Booth said being the favorite adds some pressure, but she is confident that the players won't play timidly.

"We have talked about how everybody is going to come after us," she said. "We have to play our golf. But golf is not like most sports, no one can defend us. No one is going to tackle us while we're putting."

Roughing up the Lobos might be the only savior for the six conference opponents this week. UNM won last year's championship by a tournament record 26 strokes and Booth said this year's team is probably better.

"We have more team talent this year," she said. "We have a group effort, we're not just counting on one player."

The toughest challenge might be Brigham Young University, which is ranked 58th in the nation.

The five Lobos who will try to defend the title are senior Claudia Ferrini; sophomores Kristi Larsen and Katrina Leckovic; and freshmen Kailin Downs and Shannon Johnson.

"We have a lot of depth," Booth said. "You never know who is the player of the week. We have players step up every tournament and that is what I prefer."

The top four individual scores in competition count toward the team's final score.

While the team is young, it is anchored by some experience. Ferrini finished in fourth place in last season's tournament, losing by eight strokes to then-teammate Ryley Webb. Downs, who is the third-ranked freshman in the nation in scoring average, leads the team and conference in scoring, averaging 74.9. Larsen is second with a 75.4 average.

"Golf is an individual sport, but everyone has to do their part for our team score," Booth said.

She added that any of UNM's five players has a chance to take home the individual championship.

But the individual title might be more of a challenge for the Lobos because no player has won individual titles this year, while the Mountain West field has two players who were victorious in various invitationals.