Artists' work to benefit research

Production raising money for those affected by cancer

Musicians and artists of all shapes and sizes will bring their works to the ever-evolving "Genesis," a production that includes many kinds of performances benefiting breast cancer research.

Digital art, silent auctions, film, go-go dancing, computer animation and live music are all part of "Genesis." The monthly event will stage its 11th production Friday at Puccini's Golden West Saloon. Erik Torrez, director of "Genesis," said the event was created after he noticed local artists were suffering from a lack of exposure.

"I feel like the local scene needs more attention," Torrez said. "Media DJs, visual artists and digital artists just don't get enough exposure."

"Genesis," which Torrez describes as "an experiment," provided the much-needed stage for these underexposed artists, he said.

"It's really for artists who want to show what they do and what they've got," he said.

Art lines the walls of the saloon, and well-known local musicians are set to perform.

"We get a mixed crowd, there are people from every genre and age," Torrez said. "'Genesis' is for anyone who appreciates the arts."

Albuquerque residents affected by cancer also benefit from the event. Torrez said the money raised at "Genesis" will be distributed between three beneficiaries.

"One of them is people living with cancer," he said. "Another is people who have survived cancer, and the other is UNM's Cancer Treatment and Research Center."

"Genesis" will donate 100 percent of proceeds from the silent auctions and also a portion of the money collected at the event. Like the event itself, the auction offers a wide array of products - there is something for everyone up for grabs.

"We have art and crafts, glassware, we have a high amount of gift certificates provided by our sponsors," Torrez said. "There are also ceramics, sculpture and a little bit of mixed media."

The event wasn't always a charity fundraiser, he said. But as popularity grew, Torrez sought to do something productive with the event's success.

"(The fund raising) started in the mid-point of the year," he said. "First I was doing ("Genesis") as a hobby. It is something I like doing - gaining experience of the production process. As it became more and more successful, I decided to take on a bigger challenge."

Torrez said the new challenge is a source of inspiration for him.

"If there is not pain, there is neither the reason nor the desire to think or create," he wrote in a news release.

Torrez said this thought relates to the artwork featured at the event, the musical compositions played and also, the cause "Genesis" supports.

"It's an inspirational key to me," he said. "It's a strong point. Without feelings there is no meaning. Whether good or bad, there is always a point."

The success of "Genesis" has much to do with the event's unique approach. Torrez said the event includes "a little bit of everything" and this is largely due to the project's methods of selection. The show has a policy of inclusion rather than exclusion.

"I love giving everyone an opportunity, no matter what it is," he said.

Friday's production will feature musical performances by Mucho Budda, Kairo, Feels like Sunday, Donovan and Concepto Tambor. The event will be catered by Al's New York Pizza Department and Tucano's Brazilian Grill.