Owls revive classic sound

Band's second effort fits nicely into psychedelic genre

A band of Low Flying Owls swooped down one day and took me on a trip to the past.

With moody, psychedelic instrumentals and even moodier vocals, Elixir Vitae, the Low Flying Owls' second full-length release, has conjured images and soundscapes that could only develop after years of '70s music-induced bliss. But to say the Owls are a one-trick pony would be unfair in light of the evidence.

Made up of Jared Southard on vocals and guitars, Andy Wagner on guitars and keyboards, Michael Bruce on bass and Sam Coe on drums, the Owls craft a sound reminiscent of Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Beatles or even the Dandy Warhols.

The Northern California-based band brings a lot to the table, but is the merchandise just a reprocessed-meat product that has been pressed into a pleasing shape or is it actually prime rib?

First and foremost the production values on Elixir Vitae are good. The instruments are all allowed to come through on their own, and the sound is never muddied up by too much distortion or a backbeat that overpowers the arrangements. The vocal work is nice even if Southard does tend to rely too much on "yeah" and "woo" on some tracks.

Instrumentally, the Owls are tight on this recording. From the hauntingly melodic riffs of "Georgie Shot Johnnie" to the moody sneering of "Swinging Sam" and its bizarrely evil vocal vibe and talk of a "cross-dressing, HIV-positive husband" in the Hamptons, the Owls keep it tight enough to hold water.

The only area where the band tends to slip up is in its seemingly idol-like worship of its predecessors. There are moments when it's easy to forget that the Low Flying Owls are a relatively new band, and the tracks on Elixir Vitae are original creations and not remakes from a previous era of music.

While the term clich never shouted itself through the speakers, the idea does creep into the mind of the listener at times, especially during tracks like "Strange Connection" where it feels as if the spirit of John Lennon was channeled for a little more than three minutes.

Elixir Vitae may be too apt of a title for this recording. But instead of a drink that prolongs life, it is the Owls who are breathing new life into a dated musical genre and doing so with its own style. While not for everybody, the Low Flying Owls have created an album that would fit nicely in the music collection of any fan of psychedelic music. Even someone just looking for mood music that doesn't involve whales, rain, dolphins or octopi would do themselves a favor by picking up this album.

Who: Low Flying Owls

When: Saturday, 10 p.m.

Where: Atomic Cantina

315 Gold. Ave

Price: free

Tickets

& Info: 242-2200