Healthy ways to deal with trauma

by Peggy Spencer

and Harry Linneman

Daily Lobo columnists

Remember the moment you heard about the shootings on the Virginia Tech campus? How you heard of it and where you were? Your reaction? The reactions of your friends and those

around you?

Reactions to traumatic events are as varied as people. Your response may be very different from your roommate's or your mother's. We'll discuss what is normal and what is not, what to do now and when to

get help.

Traumatic stress reactions can be divided into physical and emotional, short-term and long-term. Many people initially feel shock and disbelief, even denial. Anger, fear, anxiety, sadness, hopelessness, compassion, helplessness and survivor's guilt are also common. You may feel emotionally numb, or conversely find that you are irritable and jumpy. Your moods may change back and forth quickly. You may struggle in your mind with why this happened, trying to find answers, to make sense of the tragedy. You may worry about something similar happening here. You may have physical responses, like nausea, headache, jitters, chest pain, trouble breathing, difficulty sleeping or decreased appetite. All of these are normal. However, if you have severe emotional or physical symptoms in these first days, please get professional help.

This is already a stressful time on campus, with finals and graduation just around the corner. A background of existing stress can magnify the effect of a major tragic news event. If you have some kind of connection to Virginia Tech, your reactions may be even stronger. For example, if you knew one of the victims, know a student at VT, or have friends, relatives or experience in the area, your feelings will probably be more intense.

If you have a history of previous trauma, as many of us do, the news of this tragedy might bring that past trauma to the front of your mind, and you might find yourself thinking, dreaming, reliving or having feelings about the other incident. The previous incident may seem totally unrelated, or it may be a similar event. This can be unsettling at best. The severe form of this kind of reaction is called post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. But most cases are milder - a temporary resurfacing of memories that fade into the

background again.

How can you cope with your own feelings and thoughts during this time? Connect with those you care about. Spend time with friends. Call your family. Talk about your feelings and reactions, or write about them. Post your condolences online, along with thousands of others. Above all, take good, healthy care of yourself. Eat well, get as much rest as you can and exercise. Avoid the temptation to drown your sorrows with alcohol or drugs. Again, if you're having severe reactions, get help.

While initial reactions to trauma may vary in kind and severity, most people return fairly soon to a competent pursuit of their normal activities. You don't forget, but you aren't immobilized, either. An abnormal response is when you are affected to an extreme, or when your feelings or thoughts persist after the initial shock period. Next week and beyond, if you find yourself unable to concentrate or sleep well, or if you are having trouble performing normal activities because of continuing trauma responses, please seek help.

Delayed responses to trauma can happen up to weeks and months after the initial event. Keep this in mind as you observe and care for your own mental health in the

near future.

Dr. Harry Linneman will conduct a trauma debriefing group at 2 p.m. on Friday at the Student Health Center. This will be an opportunity to share thoughts and feelings with a psychologist and other students. No names will be collected, and no records will be kept.

Peggy Spencer is a UNM Student Health physician, and Harry Linneman is the director of UNM's Counseling and Therapy Services.

Other sources of help

include:

Agora Crisis Center Albuquerque - 277-3013 or

866-HELP-1-NM

Student Health Center -

277-3136.

Counseling And Therapy Services - 277-4537

Residence hall advisers -

277-9203

Dean of students - 277-8230

Counseling And Referral Services (for staff and faculty)- 272-6868