Fine Greek fare brings Mediterranean to Duke City

by Shandea Williams

Daily Lobo

Yanni's Mediterranean Grill and Opa Bar is the fine dining experience avid food lovers search for.

The Nob Hill Greek paradise opened 12 years ago. With Greek food on my mind, I walked in and was greeted by co-owners Nick Kapnison and Jimmy Daskalos, who showed me to my beautiful window seat.

I ordered a mango iced tea ($1.65) and fried calamari with a spicy horseradish cocktail sauce ($8.75). I suggest ordering the sauce on the side, so the crispy calamari doesn't get soggy.

I tried the oven-roasted rack of lamb - a dish Yanni's is well-known

for - even though it was $28.95 for the half rack and $33.50 for the full. I also wanted to try a traditional Greek dish, so I ordered the combination platter that included pastitsio, grape leaves stuffed with beef and spanakopita ($20.50).

The lamb was tender and cut perfectly. The combination plate was enjoyable because it had a variety of flavors and textures. Although I am a fan of vegetarian dolmas - stuffed grape leaves - the beef added a meaty zing. The spanakopita - prepared like a Greek chimichanga - was stuffed with spinach and feta cheese and wrapped in a light, fluffy phyllo pastry. The pastitsio, on the other hand, was a Greek macaroni and cheese that included beef, a blend of cheeses, bÇchamel, nutmeg and cinnamon. The spices made it slightly sweet and added zest to the platter. Each meal comes with mixed vegetables, a potato side and a choice of soup or salad. I had a salad that came with a delicious homemade Greek dressing.

The Opa Bar has an extensive wine list and nightly drink specials. Try one of the Greek specialty wines it offers, such as the award-winning Kouros Nemea red.

If you have room for dessert, the chef makes a mean peanut butter mousse cake ($4.50). It has peanut butter mousse in the center with a chocolate ganache coating and a graham cracker crust. If you don't like peanut butter, have the chocolate mousse cake ($4.95). Both are served with whipped cream and fresh fruit.

Sometimes, we all have to indulge. Yanni's is the perfect place to wind down with a glass of wine and an excellent meal. With exceptional service and wonderful food, I would suggest it for

any occasion.

Yanni's Mediterranean Grill and Opa Bar

3109 Central Ave. N.E.

Monday-Thursday

11 a.m.-9:45 p.m.

Friday and Saturday

11 a.m.-10:45 p.m.

Sunday

Noon-8:45 p.m.

Recommendations

Oven-roasted rack of lamb

Grilled yellowfin sole

Combination Greek platter

Jumbo artichoke

Peanut butter mousse cake