Tantalizing Japanese food down the road from UNM

by Shandea Williams

Daily Lobo

There is no word that can explain Mirai Express and still give it the credit it deserves.

The restaurant, on 120 Harvard Drive S.E., offers affordable and tantalizing Japanese fare close to UNM.

The macha iced tea ($1.95) was a sweet, enjoyable wheat grass brew. It is highly condensed, sweetened green tea packed with health benefits and great taste. I also suggest the Asian iced coffee with condensed milk ($1.95) - sugary, caffeinated and wonderful.

Lily Genka, co-owner of Mirai Express, had many suggestions, so I followed her culinary advice. While waiting, I nibbled on squid salad ($3.95) and sipped miso soup ($1). It was the perfect appetizer before biting into some sushi. First, I enjoyed a spider roll ($6.95). The soft-shell crab was perfectly crispy and was paired with avocado, cucumber and lettuce.

This was followed by a sesame chicken bento box ($7.95) that generously included soup, salad, steamed rice and a choice of sashimi, California roll or shrimp and vegetable tempura. I suggest the tempura - it is a light, crispy veggie addition to the meal. The restaurant also has an array of noodle and rice dishes, including the stir-fried chicken yakisoba ($5.95) and veggie curry don ($4.95).

Mirai Express uses fresh ingredients to prepare its noodles - nothing comes from a package.

After being stuffed to the brim, I had cash left to spare so I had to try some dessert. The restaurant has an extensive shaved ice menu ($2.50), if you are looking for something light, but also offers tempura-fried green tea ice cream ($4.25) and mochi ($2.50). The tempura ice cream was wonderfully prepared. The ice cream hadn't melted and the outside was warm and crisp.

Mirai Express recently added a few items to its menu, including grilled eggplant with a miso-based sauce ($4.95). This dish is great if you want to add more veggies to your diet and you're sick of salad and celery sticks.

But before you come in expecting a cocktail with your meal, know that Mirai's beer and wine license is pending.

Light and Healthy Mirai Express was clean and decorated with soothing adornments, including an indoor fountain. It's the perfect place to bring a date or a friend - or even your friend's date, if you'd like. Either way, stop by.

Recommendations:

Macha iced tea, sesame chicken, veggie/shrimp tempura, chicken yakisoba and squid salad

Light and Healthy Mirai Express

120 Harvard S.E.

Monday-Thursday

11:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.

Saturday

11:30 a.m.-8 p.m.