Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York speaks to about 2,800 people at a rally at Highland High School on Saturday.

Clinton speaks on Iraq War, education

Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York was in Albuquerque on Saturday to campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination.

She spoke to a crowd of about 2,800 people at Highland High School for about 30 minutes.

"I said at the last debate it took a Clinton to clean up after the first Bush," she said. "I want you to hire me for the hardest job in the world, and I want you to know I will work hard for you. If you're ready for change, I'm ready to lead."

Mayor Martin Chavez and Lt. Gov. Diane Denish introduced Clinton.

Chavez said Clinton needs the help of Hispanic voters to win the New Mexico Caucus on Feb. 5.

"The reason Hispanics should support Hillary Clinton is because when she looks at us, she doesn't see Hispanics - she sees Americans," he said.

Clinton said the next president will face challenges in foreign policy, including "a war to end in Iraq and a war to resolve in Afghanistan."

She said she will begin pulling troops from Iraq in the first 100 days of her presidency.

Clinton also said she will fight global warming, bring down the costs of going to college and create high-quality jobs that make the U.S. less dependent on oil and fossil fuels.

Student Archie Richardson, who attended the event, said that though he will vote Feb. 5., he's still not sure who he will vote for.

"I definitely liked the part about making school affordable, because I can definitely relate to that," he said. "The event didn't necessarily make me want to vote for Hillary, because it was pretty much the same punch lines you hear on TV."

Alumnus Simon McCormack, who attended the speech, said he also saw Obama speak Friday.

The Clinton event only helped him see how similar the two candidates are, he said.

"I think Obama is a better speaker, and I think he's more likely to motivate people, especially young voters," McCormack said. "I'm going to vote for Obama, but I wouldn't be devastated if Clinton beats him."