Daily Lobo Spotlight

John Dyrcz / Graduate Student / Political Science

Daily Lobo: What made you choose political science?

John Dyrcz: I was always involved in international affairs, even when I was a younger kid. I traveled a lot at an early age. I was never really concerned with U.S. affairs. Then as I grew older, it was still something that I had a big interest for.

DL: How do you feel about the master's program you're in right now?

JD: I really like it. I'm doing a lot more research, so I have learned a lot. The department that I'm in has also been recognized and won awards in the research aspect. It's also a really small department, so it's nice to see a lot of the same faces in your classes.

DL: How much longer will it take you to finish your master's?

JD: I'll be done in May of this following year. I just have to take what we call a comprehensive exam, and then I graduate.

DL: What are some things you feel you have learned since becoming a graduate student?

JD: I did want to teach at first, and then after experiencing more of the classes, I realized that was something I wasn't interested in anymore. I also started meeting a lot of people who were opening my eyes to different things. The more people you meet and are associated with makes it that much easier to move up within the department.

DL: What do you do when you're not thinking about political science?

JD: Well I really like Netflix - there is this show called "Arrested Development" that is really funny. I also like to play the Wii game with "Wii Sports." In fact there is a local bar I like to go to that plays "Wii Sports" every week.

DL: How do you feel about UNM altogether?

JD: I am pleased with UNM. I wouldn't have even come here if it wasn't for the out-of-state scholarships I was offered. UNM really gives people, even from the East Coast, an opportunity to try and excel, and I really appreciate that.