Pharmacy technician Patricia McCormick prepares a prescription at the Student Health and Counseling pharmacy Monday.

Health care conundrum

Nation faces issues of increasing costs, lack of coverage

The cost of health care has skyrocketed in recent years, and Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain believe the U.S. will need to cut those costs.

Todd Sandman, director of government relations for Presbyterian Healthcare Services, said the health care system in New Mexico needs attention.

"I think the No. 1 issue is New Mexico is, at any given time, first or second with the highest number of uninsured," he said.

Sandman said New Mexico's work force is different from other states, which means employees often have to find their own health insurance.

"Other states that are very industrial and have large employers are much more likely to see employer-based coverage," he said. "There is such a wide range of small businesses and ranches (that) you just see a different kind of economy here."

McCain's health care plan reflects his free-market economic policy, allowing for choice in coverage.

"I think it's a responsibility," he said in the second presidential debate on Oct. 2. "We should have available and affordable health care to every American citizen, to every family member."

McCain's plan aims to reduce costs by establishing more community health centers and clinics. He said this will cut federal spending.

McCain also said he will give a refundable tax credit to allow Americans the option of purchasing their own health care policies anywhere in the country.

Sandman said once nationwide coverage plans are in effect, the special needs of individual states might not get the support they need.

"The state laws that have been put into effect to protect consumers or to look for unique health care needs would be overruled by these national plans," Sandman said.

McCain said during a primary debate in 2007 that special needs are included in his plan.

"We want to remove the employer tax and tax incentives and move it to the individual," he said. "Give the individual a $2,500 refundable tax credit, a family a $5,000 tax credit. If you need to have people in special categories such as congenital diseases, we may have to set up a fund to care for those."

Obama's plan to improve health care would establish universal coverage. He would expand the federal employee health plan to give health insurance to everyone in need.

Sandman said universal coverage is an appealing idea but that it is difficult to pass when Congress has to decide who will pay for it.

Obama's plan would also lower premiums attached to health plans, but individuals will still be able to choose their doctor and keep their health plan if they are satisfied with it.

"If you've got health insurance through your employer, you can keep your health insurance, keep your choice of doctor, keep your plan," he said in the second presidential debate. "If you don't have health insurance, then what we're going to do is to provide you the option of buying into the same kind of federal pool, which will give you high-quality care, choice of doctors, at lower costs.."

Obama's plan would also impose a payroll tax on employers who did not insure their workers, which would go toward funding government-subsidized coverage. Obama said most small businesses would be exempt from this tax and instead would be given a 50 percent tax credit.

"The problem is not that folks are trying to avoid getting health care; the problem is they can't afford it," he said at the 2008 Congressional Black Caucus Democratic debate. "My plan emphasizes lowering costs, not only setting up a government plan so that people who don't have health insurance can buy into it and will get subsidized.."

Student Rick Johnson said he has not paid attention to the candidates' positions on health care but that it is an important issue for him.

"If I get injured, I want to be taken care of," Johnson said. "I want to be able to pay my bills after. I don't want to be in debt by being hurt."

Sandman said Presbyterian supports expanding health care and making it available to everyone but that the new president might not be able to rapidly effect this change.

"I think the goal is absolutely right," he said. "I think where politics and health coverage tend to intersect is around cost."

The candidates on health care:

McCain:

Health care is a responsibility: just make it available

$5,000 refundable tax credit for families to buy a policy

Put health records online to reduce costs, medical errors

Obama:

Health care is a right: the system is fundamentally wrong

Guaranteed health care for anyone who needs it

Provide the same health care federal employees receive

Source: OnTheIssues.org