Alpha Tau Omega will seek 'founding fathers' for UNM chapter

A new fraternity will join the four chapters already on campus this spring.

Alpha Tau Omega was founded in 1865, one of the first fraternities created after the Civil War, and aimed to reunite the men from the South, said Ronnie Hebert, associate director of expansion for the fraternity.

UNM contacted ATO's national headquarters in Indianapolis, Ind., and invited the fraternity to consider expanding to UNM, Hebert said.

The Interfraternity Council chose seven fraternities to invite to campus, and out of those seven, ATO was one of the top five, said Mackenzie Woods, former IFC president.

He said the fraternity had been on campus before and continues to have alumni support.

Woods said fraternities on campus are looking for hard-working students.

"When a fraternity expands onto campus, they're looking for the highly motivated men who are the leaders in the classes," he said.

Hebert said ATO will send an expansion team from the national headquarters to begin taking referrals and suggestions for members from alumni.

ATO recruiters will ask for recommendations from sororities as well.

John Gayer, Greek Life adviser, said fraternities must keep their integrity and that this is often determined by the fraternities' alumni.

"Alumni boards that are consistent and year after year have a very good knowledge and basic history of the fraternity are what are successful about fraternities," he said. "Alumni provide mentorship and leadership to train undergraduate members to become better citizens . which is the goal anyway."

Two ATO recruiters will be on campus in February, Hebert said. They will look for "founding fathers" for the chapter.

There will also be interest meetings for students every Monday in the SUB, he said.

Hebert said the ATO chapter will work to set a good example for other fraternities.

"Some things that ATO as well as the other fraternities on campus have done nationally (is they) have taken a very aggressive stand on a no-hazing policy," he said. "Also, we have taken this a step further, and all of the new chapters that are being developed will be substance-free houses, so there will be no alcohol or tobacco in the houses."

Hebert said the UNM ATO chapter will not have a house on campus its first year so that members can focus on academics and forming relationships before worrying about household responsibilities.