Sean DeBuck adds a penny to the Mile of Coins for a Veterans Day fundraiser in Smith Plaza on Tuesday. The donations were given to the Veterans Integration Center.

Coins clink to help veterans

The New Mexico Veterans Integration Center asked students to give their two cents at the "Mile of Coins" fundraiser held in Smith Plaza on Tuesday.

Students were asked to give any change they could to make a line of coins later donated to the Veterans Integration Center.

Graduate student Darrin Kowitz said the fundraiser, held in honor of Veterans Day, collected about $1,280 in change and cash.

Jenny Weale, a spokeswoman for the VIC, said the Mile of Coins is an effective fundraising tool because small donations add up quickly.

"Even if there were just a mile of pennies alone, the tally would come to $844.80," she said.

Kowitz, who organized the fundraiser, said this is an important time to give to veterans and that his group will likely hold fundraisers in the future.

"Veterans are definitely prevalent in our society, especially today," Kowitz said. "The goal is to try and provide a much more comfortable atmosphere between student veterans and Universities. The new G.I. Bill that was presented last year said to expect a lot more veterans coming out of war . including a lot of student veterans."

Junior Jesica Andrews donated to the Mile of Coins and said she encouraged others to as well.

"Veterans have a lot to overcome when they integrate back to society, so I think it's important for all people to support them as much as we can," she said.

Weale said Veterans Day is often overshadowed by Memorial Day.

"Although Memorial Day is very important, people tend to downplay Veterans Day because of this," Weale said. "This fundraiser will be a great way for people to see it's very important to recognize our veterans, also."

Student Eric Ross, a member of the Veterans Integration Center, said the group focuses on homeless veterans and veterans who are at risk of becoming homeless.

"The VIC has the potential to house 150 homeless veterans, but if you look at Albuquerque alone, there are 2,000 veterans who are homeless," Ross said. "What VIC will provide is 150 beds, and then the New Mexico VA also will provide 75 beds, but that's only 225 beds that are out there for an estimated 2,000 people who are homeless."

Ross said veterans who are returning from war often come back with medical and psychological issues that can make readjusting to home life difficult.

Weale said coming home is a tough process and that the Veterans Integration Center needs donations to continue helping.

"It's a lot harder than one would think to just leave the military and be OK," she said. "When you join the military, it's a whole process - the military (will) completely break you down to build you back up as a person, which I think is why veterans do become homeless. It's hard sometimes to get yourself out of that mind-frame, to be like everyone else."