Colin's Collegiate Cooking

With Valentine's Day on Saturday, I want to help you plan a special dinner that is romantic and tastes amazing. And it'll only set you back $13.

With the economy in the dumps, a lot of people have cut back on spending. Valentine's Day doesn't have to be expensive; you just need a little time, effort and someone to impress.

When I was a senior in high school, I quit my job a few weeks before Valentine's Day without realizing the holiday was so close. I had planned on taking my girlfriend to a small, quaint restaurant in Santa Fe for Valentine's Day. I knew I wasn't going to be able to afford it, so I told her I had canceled the reservations and was going to cook her dinner instead.

To my surprise, she gave me a big smile and a kiss on the cheek. She said it sounded amazing and followed it with, "Wait, I didn't know you could cook like that."

I explained that I loved cooking and had always wanted to do something like this but never thought about it until it was too late.

I'd thought about a few cheap dishes and talked to my mom before coming up with the idea for basil pasta with a homemade white sauce - not to be confused with alfredo sauce. This dish has no cheese.

Now, this is very easy to make, and it looks as impressive as it tastes. Don't be afraid to add or subtract ingredients to your liking. The sauce is made from heavy cream, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, basil and red pepper flakes. And, as always, salt and pepper adds to the taste.

Chardonnay or pinot grigio will go great with the dish, and you can pick up a decent bottle at any grocery store for around $8.

My advice to you is to invite your significant other over to your place about half an hour before you're ready to eat and watch your sweetheart be amazed at your cooking skills. Plus, who doesn't love someone who can cook?

If you're a more adventurous and skilled cook, you can add a delightful cheesecake as a dessert. For the best cheesecake recipe ever, check out this column's accompanying blog at ColinCooks.blogspot.com.

Fettucini a la creme sauce

2 1/4 pints heavy cream ($2)

1 diced medium tomato (39 cents)

3-4 sun-dried tomatoes ($3 for a jar)

4-5 fresh basil leaves ripped in half ($1.50)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 bag Al Dente-brand basil pasta ($3.50)

1 baguette ($2)

Bottle of chardonnay or pinot grigio ($8)

In a medium-sized saucepan, add the oil and bring to high heat. Place the basil and sun-dried tomatoes in the pan and cook for about 30 seconds, but don't let burn.

Add the cream, and bring to a boil. As soon as the dish reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer for three minutes. Turn off the heat, and allow to cool while pasta cooks. It will thicken slightly.

While the sauce is cooking, put on a pot of water big enough to hold the bag of pasta. Add a splash of olive oil to the water and bring to a boil.

Since the pasta cooks in only two minutes, you can't leave while it's cooking. When it is overcooked it tastes really gross.

The noodles should be al dente (just a little crunch in the very center) when finished. Strain the pasta and rinse under cold water for a few seconds, and let it drain.

After the pasta is done, reheat the sauce. When it reaches a simmer, add the diced tomatoes, and cook for 30 seconds more. Take off the heat, and you're finished.

Place a small amount of pasta in the middle of a large plate, and top with the sauce. Cut up the bread into diagonal pieces, and place on the plate with pasta. For a nice touch, cut a few butter slices and put on plate next to bread. Then sprinkle a bit of garlic powder over the butter.

Serve dish with a nice glass of wine and, voila, you're done. Welcome the smiles and kisses and enjoy.

Just don't forget the flowers.