Larissa Lewis stands in front of the UNM bookstore and pickets for safety reform in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. After her son, student Kerry Lewis, was murdered last summer, Larissa has been protesting both in town and at the state legislature to make progress toward safety. The Monday night stabbing prompted her appearance at UNM. “You have to provoke people, you have to push buttons,” she said.

Mother of slain student protests campus security after recent attack

Larissa Lewis, mother of murder victim and former student Kerry Lewis, said the lack of security at UNM and surrounding areas is appalling.

That’s why she protested Tuesday outside of President David Schmidly’s office and in front of UNM on Central Avenue.

“Why isn’t he out here? Is he going to walk around campus tonight and stand by the anthropology area, which is right by his office?” she said. “That’s what I would do if I had any brains and I was your president.”

Lewis also picketed at the Roundhouse on Monday, and, after Monday night’s stabbing, decided she’d stop by UNM campus.

Kerry Lewis was shot and killed in his apartment off campus last summer.
Susan McKinsey, University spokeswoman, said Schmidly is very concerned about safety on campus.

“The president said, ‘When it comes to safety, there are no budget concerns and no short cuts.’ We want this campus safe,” she said.

Robert Haarhues, UNMPD spokesman, said police are now striving to be more visible around campus. He said UNMPD is expecting the number of police escorts to increase due to Monday’s incident.