New deals invite smoother transition

For those students in the education programs at either CNM or UNM, life just got easier.

On March 3, representatives from UNM and CNM matched up classes between early childhood education and special education to help students transfer easier between the two schools.

Chris Larrañaga, senior adviser in Early Childhood Education at UNM, said the agreement will help students at CNM save time when figuring out how to finish up their last two years at UNM in the early childhood program.

“Usually when people transfer from other schools, they have a lot of cleaning up to do, but when you transfer with this program it’s a smooth transition,” Larrañaga said. “You just kind of continue on instead of spinning your wheels.”

CNM and UNM began two “Two plus Two” programs.

One of the programs is for students at CNM who have earned an associate’s degree in early childhood education. Those students can now more easily transfer into UNM’s bachelor’s degree program, said David Atencio, coordinator for UNM’s Early Childhood Multicultural Education Program.

Students will now have an easier time transferring within the same program because the advisement system as well as course credits match, said Elizabeth Keefe, associate professor in special education at UNM.

“Students will be much better informed and better advised, so that they really know what they are going to be doing both at UNM and CNM,” Keefe said. “So, it’s not like they are doing a separate program but one seamless program.”

The other program is for students completing an associate’s degree at CNM in teacher education with a concentration in special education. Now, students can transfer into UNM’s dual-license bachelor’s special education degree program at UNM, Atencio said.

The dual-license program at UNM prepares graduates to become licensed in both elementary education and special education.

Beth Pitonzo, CNM vice president for Academic Affairs, said this evolving partnership between UNM and CNM will increase the chances for more students in Albuquerque to pursue and succeed in higher education.

“We are very excited about these two most recent ‘Two plus Two’ transfer agreements,” Pitonzo said. “Not only will they provide a clearer pathway for CNM students to transfer and pursue a Bachelor’s degree at UNM, but they will also address a significant need for early childhood and special education teachers in our communities.”

In order to become a licensed early childhood teacher in New Mexico, students must complete a bachelor’s level degree in early childhood multicultural education, Atencio said.

“Students are going to feel empowered because they can finish their AA (associate’s) degrees at CNM and look long range and get the bachelor’s degree at UNM,” Atencio said. “They are going to see very clearly as they complete their AA program at CNM that they are essentially completing their bachelor’s degree at UNM simultaneously.”

Faculty, advisers, education directors and academic registrars have met periodically from both schools to compare courses and match the general education requirements with New Mexico’s requirements for an early childhood teaching license, Atencio said. Since the requirements match course by course, classes taken at CNM will transfer directly into UNM’s bachelor degree program.