Kappa Sigma applies to attain charter

The Kappa Sigma colony is applying to regain its charter as a fraternity at UNM after losing it two years ago in an incident involving alcohol and a gun.
Greek Life Adviser Jonathan Gayer said the group will have to pass an application process and get approval from UNM’s Greek Life Department.

“The way things happened was the fraternity was removed from campus, and their charter was revoked. They’re getting their charter back. They have that right as a national organization,” he said. “They will work to do the application and work to get their charter back.”

Gayer said Kappa Sigma is classified as a “colony,” meaning they are in the process of becoming a fraternity.
Kappa Sigma Colony President Ken Ogan said the group hopes to have its charter back within the year. The group is working to meet the re-chartering requirements of the University and the national Kappa Sigma organization.

“We all have to do 25 or more hours of community service in order to go from colony to frat, and we have to be bigger than 50 people, and we have to exceed the all-men’s average GPA,” Ogan said. “We also have to do these workshop things.”

Dean of Students Randy Boeglin said the fraternity’s charter was revoked in 2007 after several incidents involving alcohol and one involving a firearm.
“The fraternity was found responsible for multiple violations of the code of conduct,” he said. “Two underage females were allegedly drinking alcohol, and there was another incident in August where there was a physical fight, and a firearm was involved in the fight.”

Boeglin said UNM revoked the fraternity’s charter for one year, and the national Kappa Sigma organization revoked the charter for an additional year.
Ogan said that out of roughly 35 members of the Kappa Sigma colony, only two were in the fraternity when its charter was revoked.
“I wasn’t here when that happened, but almost everybody (in the colony) is new,” he said. “We’re not really affiliated with that group, other than that we’re technically Kappa Sigma.”

Ogan said he thinks the fraternity should be re-chartered because it teaches members valuable life skills.

“It’s founded on principles that help Kappa Sigmas become better men,” he said. “The leadership development skills you gain are second to none.”
Gayer said the colony will not be fully integrated into Kappa Sigma’s national organization until it regains its charter.

“They’re not allowed to know the rituals and secrets of the full fraternity until they pass the application process,” he said.
Ogan said the Kappa Sigma

fraternity’s national organization is the largest in the country. He said Kappa Sigma’s goal is to teach fraternity members to apply the principles of the organization.

“Our four bedrock, cornerstone principles are leadership, fellowship, scholarship and service,” he said. “Those four things are the perfect four things to make a well-rounded person. And other than that, we’re just a good group of guys.”